dba

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hi All,

Was on vacation from the hobby for a bit but I am not new to the hobby. However, considering this is only my second cycle ever, I still fill like a newbie to this part.

Started cycling 3 weeks ago. 2 days ago my diatom bloom started, today the bloom is in full swing.

on 4-20 my params were
Phosophates = 0
Ammonia = 1.5
Nitrites = 5.0
Nitrates = 40

Today my params are
Phosphates = 0
Ammonia = 0
Nitrites = 2.0
Nitrates = 80

I added a small CUC when my bloom started and I havn't lost any as of my last head count before I started this post. ( i have always read that once diatoms kick in, it's safe to add CUC)

Now my question is, I was told that it's not a good idea to change filtration media during cycle process, I have 2 sets of media. My sock and sponge between fuge / return chambers in my sump.

My sock is done and needs to be change (it's full and water is overflowing out of the sock). Will me changing the sock, stall the cycle process?

Also, once I have my nitrites down to 0, is that the correct time to do my first water change?

Unlike most people on here, I am not big on water changes. It's something that came out of lazyness, but I once went 6 months without a water change and my tank was thriving. http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/general-discussion/158691-last-water-change-june-3.html. <-- see this post on my experience for not doing a WC for 6 months.

I will probably do a WC every 2 weeks for the first 3 months, but after that, if my water has stable params, I will go about my tank the way I did with my last build..

Any help and guidance on the cycle process I am going through, will be greatly appreciated

Jlavine

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
Certainly a normal part of the cycle. There are a few things that can help minimize it as well. Are you using RO/DI water, do you have a skimmer, how's your overall water movement?

I would do a water change, but there are people on this forum with more experience than me and I'd wait for some other opinions.

dba

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
rodi water for initial and for future WC... tap water for top off..

skimmer was turned on a week ago (2 weeks after cycle started) it's working well and picking up the unwanted stuff that.

I will deff do a WC, just wondering when is the right time to do it.

Jlavine

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
Do not use tap water for your top off. You'll just be adding minerals and poor water. It will be hard to get that out of your tank. I'll let someone else chime in about the water change timing, but I would do one personally.

Rating - 98.6%
73   1   0
rodi water for initial and for future WC... tap water for top off..

skimmer was turned on a week ago (2 weeks after cycle started) it's working well and picking up the unwanted stuff that.

I will deff do a WC, just wondering when is the right time to do it.

Tap water for top off? :wow: You are a noob, and not JUST with the cycling process...

BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I had the same question regarding the filter media when I set up my latest tank. Then I decided not to use any type of filtration at all in the beginning because I wouldnt know what and how much I should use.

Reef Lobster

REEF LOBSTER LLC OWNER
Vendor
Rating - 87.5%
21   3   0
ME personally I cycle my tank as the TANK only. No filter running for a month or so, then gradually add more and more filtration methods over 3 months. This is by far not usual method but i like to ensure the tank gets real dirty with waste to ensure the nitrification bacteria is abundant. With that said id MAYBE take the sock and rinse it in the tank, let all that waste go back into the water (no harm right now you have no corals or expensive fish, it can only help the break down cycle)

then Id replace the sock. Some may say thats overkill or unneeded but i like to keep my waste in there until i know their was sufficient time to create a load of bacteria

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: