oro50

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

I have a 20 L gallon saltwater tank.

This tank has 1 HOB filter (meant for a 30 gallon tank); a fluval 106 canister filter, 2 powerheads to create more aeration and ripples at my aquariums water surface.

I also have about 14 pieces of live rock now in my tank. Approximately 18 or 19lbs of live rock for a 20 gallon tank.

I have a expanded critter crew now. I think I lost one nassarus snail, but I think I have about 19 invertebrates in my tank now. I have 3 hermit crabs; 1 bumblebee snail; 7 nassarus snails; 3 nerite snails; 3 turbos; 1 marigita snail and I think I have 3 cerith snails still in my tank.

I also have one red maroon clownfish (I believe is still a juvenile) in my tank.

I also have a light sandbed.

I always use RO/DI water when replacing water through water changes now and going forward.
I do water changes either weekly or bi-weekly, mostly bi-weekly. When I do a change I remove about 20 to 25% of the water at any given time, unless it was a weekly change, and I remove about 10 -15%.

Anyway,

So I am thinking about putting a few coral fragments into this tank.

However I was told by someone that I should hold off putting any corals into my tank, until I get a sump.

The reason given was that (not all) but most corals give off some sort of oil as a byproduct and the sump helps essentially with sucking this excretion from the corals, so it doesn't hurt them?

Other reasons include, another area for other filter devices to exist to help further reduce nitrate and phosphate levels, as phosphates can also be damaging to corals?

My main question is a sump needed for corals to live in a tank and thrive or is this just a preferred method?

My second question, is with limited space that I have, (I have some space in the special aquarium cabinet I bought that currently supports my aquarium); but only so much, and I'm wondering if a 10 gallon tank that would serve as a sump would fit in here?

Third question is, does a sump actually require additional plumbing of some kind to operate, or does it work like this, (where there are extra filtration devices in this tank) and they are just connected somehow to the main display aquarium)?

Fourth question? Are LED lights better versus bulbs? I've read a great deal about how LEDs are more energy efficient produce, less heat, than MH, and last a-lot longer than fluorescence bulbs?

On the other hand I have also read a report today, about how LED lights sometimes do not produce enough sufficient light for corals (specifically) for the zooxanthellae algae to use for photosynthesis and thus these corals threw out their zooxanthellae and died?

I'm also wondering what types of LEDS (if most people here think they are still a very light source to use) are adequate for zooantheds, mushroom and leather corals without breaking the bank either?

Meaning are there good LED lights for these types of beginner corals, with someone having a budget of say 200 to 300 dollars?

Furthermore as I cannot attach these lights to the ceiling of my apartment, what LED brands provide a holder or bracket system which would attach to the two sides of my aquarium top?

What is a good Kelvin range too to not just keep these types of corals alive but allow them to grow and thrive?

I would like to also see them pop every so often?

I'm wondering how many hours of light should they receive during each day, and specifically what wavelengths?

I am also wondering how much blue light they can handle each day?

I heard if this wavelength is used, this should be only at a minimum each day (like 2 hours a day) but I'm unsure why?

I am also unsure because I read from some other sources that the blue wavelength within the electro magnetic spectrum actually served as a good source of light energy for certain types of corals to grow?

Lastly,
Do these lights list PUR (Photosynthetically usable radiation) value as well as the PAR (photosythentically active radiation) values.

I read that PUR is that fraction of PAR that is absorbed by plants and zooxanthellae photopigments thereby stimulating photosynthesis. Specifically falling within the wavelengths between 400-550nm and 620 to 740nm.

So my question here I think is I have read that LED emitters now can be selected for the exact wavelength of light, thus much less useless yellow or green light is emitted, so although the LED may seem less bright than some HO lights with the naked eye (such as T5's or MH's); the actual output of light energy in spectrums we cannot see is much higher. This is why gauging a light by what you can visibly see is highly inaccurate.

Is this all correct?

Anyway these are my questions right now. If you can provide any feedback on any of these topics I would appreciate it.

Thanks

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
That is really a lot of questions all at once.

It seems you're not using any skimmer and using a canister filter instead. That will be mostly a nitrate/phosphate generating machine.

Yes, an overflow will surface skim the oil to the sump so you don't see it, but most people lead that surface skim to a skimmer to remove the dissolved organics out of the tank so it doesn't become nitrate/phosphates, not just out of sight.

Any size tank can serve as a sump, but most people make it big enough to house a skimmer/heater/return pump and whatever else you want in your tank but out of sight

oro50

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah regarding a return pump in a sump.
The special aquarium stand I am using, has a special hole in it, which currently is being used by the outflow and inflow valves attached to my canister filter. However there is still some room where I might be able to put something through it.
I'm wondering if whatever valve connects to this return pump and to my aquarium could go through this hole I have in the stand I own?

Question 2 follow up: You are saying though if I bought a protein skimmer, this would be sufficient enough to make my aquarium environment well enough to support coral life, or at least the 3 most tolerant kind, zooanthed, mushrooms, and leathers?

Jlavine

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
Just put some coral in your tank already!!! You'll see how easy zoas and mushrooms are. You are over thinking this again. You also don't belong having a sump. You don't know enough about tank care or set up to start with.

Reef Lobster

REEF LOBSTER LLC OWNER
Vendor
Rating - 87.5%
21   3   0
There are some great HOB (hang on back) filter options on Marinedepot.com

With that you will maintain your space needs, and gain a protein skimmer and room for proper filtration and maybe even a refugium.

If you need any help or advice send us a message we are always here to help!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: