menac

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Hello everyone

So I recently purchased a 92 gallon marineland RR cube tank along with a 50 gallon my reef creation high flow sump.
I did the plumbing using red pvc and silcone tubing with a few unions and valve at the output and return section. I currently only have my BRS dual reactor plumbed to my return pump but no media inside yet.

. I needed a way to hide the sump and had to make a few adjustments and place the sump in another room since the stand the tank came with was custom and to short to successful keep a sump and protein skimmer because access would be a big pain. Picked up some base cabinets from ikea and water proofed the bottom with sheet of plastic and silicone the corners and sides.
This is my first large tank setup. I have kept nano reefs in the past but never had to plumb and didn't need a sump with my nanos.

The 50 pd of pukani rocks have been cured and are in the tank along with the sand. The tank is close to being completely filled with water including the sump. I still need to cycle the tank which is the next step.
My question is after scrambling on about the tank: at what point can I setup the refugium and add the sand and cheato?
Can I set it up during the cycle process .

I had plan just in the long run to depend on the gfo, protein skimmer and refugiem and no other media in the sump baffles. Any thoughts on that should I add some other form of media within the baffles etc?

I also have not ordered my protein skimmer yet. I plan on getting this in about a week or so. Here are some pics of the setup.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 248

menac

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Thanks. I had all hard plumbing but changed it to half pvc and silcone tubing. I didn't run any media in the baffles but I was considering placing something in the baffle that leads to the return pump to pick up any loose particles. I notice the return pump area has some small pieces of cheato.
I actually just now ordered a bubble Magnus curve 7. Rated for 185-240. It was the perfect demension to fit inside the sump. I hope it lives up to its rating.

I am just trying to cycle the tank now. I used live sand and also dumped two bottles of instant ocean bio spiral about 1.5 week ago. I drop a chunk of tilapia in the tank last Sunday and tested for ammonia but no ammonia reading so far. The tilapia is pretty much desintigrated by now smell pretty be when I pick it up two days ago.
I ll test again tomorrow to see if I see any readings start creeping up.
Sorry for the long reply

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: