jd371

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello, I've done the freshwater thing in the past. But recently I've had the saltwater bug bite me and I'm ready to start one. Watching an episode of Tanked planted the seed in my head and the recent passing of my dog has me looking for something to keep me occupied.
I have started to research and read a lot on the subject, but I find the best information can be found on forums from people who have done this and made the mistakes that I'm looking to avoid as a beginner. The only thing I have purchased so far is a RO/DI filter for the water. In the next month I plan on buying the things I need a piece at a time (I need to find cheaper hobbies). I will be asking a lot of questions as I progress along, so let me start by asking....what are the best shops on Long Island for fish and supplies? I have been to Tropical Showcase near me. They seem to have a lot of stuff but not the cleanest place. Where do you guys go?

JuanSalgado

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90%
54   6   0
Go To "THE REEF SHOPPE" The best fish store around, you won't leave disappointed. The best prices, cheaper than the internet vendors or any other store you will visit. They have it all or can order it for you.

"THE REEF SHOPPE"
900 Morris Park Ave.
Bronx, NY 10462

Store Hours:
Monday - Saturday 11AM - 8PM
Sunday 11AM - 5PM

Telephone:
347-851-4600

oh207

Advanced Reefer
Apex Freak
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Welcome to MR.
Here are my opinions.
Aquarium Village is the place to go on Long Island. Their staff is helpful and they carry ALL of the items you will need to start up a marine tank. They have various tank selections, equipment, and other setup items to get you started. No other LFS on the Island has such a variety of dried goods and equipments.

Next up is Pets Warehouse, either Carle Place or the one in Copiague. Good for corals and fish. Some dry goods and limited equipment.

Tropical showcase in Hicksville has livestock but as you've stated its not the cleanliest. I always figured that's because they also carry other livestock, other than fish.

POP Corals in Brooklyn also has a huge selection of very affordable equipment such as skimmers, ATO, LEDs, etc. Yes, they have a lot of corals and fish too! They also have the widest variety of fish medicine, fish food (live, dried, and frozen!) They even have Dr. G's!

Once you're up and running, if you want to pay the tolls, you can check out Central Aquariums (Old MaxReef) in the Bronx. They have the biggest inventory of fish and also the best prices on fish! Can't be beaten.

BAD FISH

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
213   0   0
There is also tropical island in deer park great store and you have country critters in Patchogue they are very good but expensive and there is always aqua hut in Coram not the best store but there prices are ridiculous

JuanSalgado

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90%
54   6   0
Pay all the tolls you have to pay to get to The Bronx, Go to THE REEFE SHOPPE, They are cheaper than all those stores, They have a huge inventory of a BIG VARIETY of fishes and not a huge inventory of the same fishes and plus which is huge once your tank is up and running, their fishes are clean and healthy. THEIR PRICES ARE INSANE AND WILL NEVER BE BEATEN. Good Luck, Enjoy The Hobby, It's a Beautiful Thing.

jd371

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks guys. I will be checking these stores out in the future. Like I mentioned before I'm still in the early stages and still researching. I will start to buy the equipment I need within a month or two.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: