BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Can you expand on this....

What stores for what purposes?

First and foremost I try to buy equipment from the reefers that upgrade,downgrade or quit.

Coral from other reefers.

When I want exotic stuff especially SPS I goto AX Signature Corals by the Yonkers Raceway.

Fish, nowadays looks like it will be the Reef Shoppe. From what I know they're northern Bronx around Morris Park.

friedwilly

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
What really does not make sense to me is why Westchester cannot hold any quality tropical fish stores.

After all, Westchester is one of the richest counties in this nation. Which would mean that the economical structure is there to support a hobby, such as tropical fish. I think House of Fins is a prime example of that, but certainly not for the hobbyist.

I think one of the errors for most LFS within the industry is lack of planning and marketing. It takes more than filling a retail space with tanks, water and fish. the mentality of, "if you build it, they will come" mentality does not work in this economy anymore.

As a hobbyist, this has to be one of the most frustrating things for me. And that is that there are no good LFS within my region.

BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Now that I think of it, westchester as a whole isn't very hobby friendly. I doubt if I jumped into model planes, iguana keeping, RC Cars etc that I'd suddenly notice those types of stores are everywhere. These days the Internet is killing it. When you take into account all the $$$ involved in every part of a business plan in this hobby plus rent and then add in that there actually is a significant amount of loss yearly, coral,fish, that it doesn't pay for a suburbanite. Gotta go to the city.

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I think their are two main reason why there no LFS in Westchester. First reason is the price to rent these days. Second the demand for one to survive. It's pretty funny trying to figure how many people are into this hobby. You go to Reef Palooza or Macna you see plenty of people from all over. Also Swap shows and forum like this. . But your LFS doesn't exist. Yes, Internet did take business away from supply and hard to find Coral and rare fish. But people still like to pick they own fish. I think it would take someone with a lot of money that also knows the business to make a successful store in Westchester. Long Island has more LFS combine Bronx and westchester. Pretty sad....

friedwilly

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I think their are two main reason why there no LFS in Westchester. First reason is the price to rent these days. Second the demand for one to survive. It's pretty funny trying to figure how many people are into this hobby. You go to Reef Palooza or Macna you see plenty of people from all over. Also Swap shows and forum like this. . But your LFS doesn't exist. Yes, Internet did take business away from supply and hard to find Coral and rare fish. But people still like to pick they own fish. I think it would take someone with a lot of money that also knows the business to make a successful store in Westchester. Long Island has more LFS combine Bronx and westchester. Pretty sad....

@ piranhapat -All valid points and I agree. The internet has killed a certain portion of this hobby. But I am the type of person who will not buy fish online. I truly feel there are some things you need to buy in person and fish/corals are one of them.

I can personally say that I am tired of make planned trips to visit a LFS that is 30 minutes or more from Wetschester. What's even more difficult to stomach, is that any LFS within Westchester is merely an amateur attempt at running a retail tropical fish store.

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
its a "rent-to-price tolerance" problem.

People in Westchester will spend $100 on a sprayer for their garden hose, but bicker when a 2" healthy yellow tang is over $20

HOF is not a hobbyist shop. Only those who are willing to pay the price for the quality will buy there as hobbyists - the rest are maintenance customers or have a limited exposure to the market.

FWIW

House

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Only place in Westchester that's showing an interest right now is AX Signature in Yonkers. Which is almost done setting up his acrylic tank system. Speaking to Ralph and seeing his place this store will be a place on everybody list. He's about 4-8 weeks out of fully running. He talked about a lot of things he's going to do. Time will tell but he's the only one that showing his heart is in it. Very knowledgeable of hobby and business. He is the only hope right now for Westchester.

The Reef Shoppe

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Im not in Westchester but I'm only 15 minutes out. Here at the reef shoppe the team and i put in 110% everyday to provide everyone with the highest quality marine fish and corals possible at extremely competitive prices. I think if you came by our shop you would be satisfied with what you see,hope to see you soon it would be our pleasure you have you in.

friedwilly

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Im not in Westchester but I'm only 15 minutes out. Here at the reef shoppe the team and i put in 110% everyday to provide everyone with the highest quality marine fish and corals possible at extremely competitive prices. I think if you came by our shop you would be satisfied with what you see,hope to see you soon it would be our pleasure you have you in.

I have been to the Reef Shoppe myself and I can say they are legit and free valet is a bonus.

The only down side is if you are from Upper Westchester, it's a bit of a hike.

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The Reef Shoppe is my favorite LFS. Excellent fish and Coral. Also excellent staff. It might be a 15 min drive but well worth it. It's not in Westchester but very close by. Anthony can get you just about anything. Definitely should be on everybody list.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: