mfs1855

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
So I have been trying to increase my dKH from 7.5 to 11. I'm using BRS 2 part and have been adding the recommended dosage (not to exceed more than 1.4 dKH increase per day).
I was slowly increasing the Alk and it was at 9.5 on Thursday. Then on Friday it jumped to 12 with no change is Alk dosing I checked my Calcium that day and it had dropped from 385 to 300.

I was adding a small amount of calcium daily (2 oz of BRS 2 part) while I was increasing my Alk but but it still dropped.

I just bought a dossing pump and am trying to increase the Calcium (BRS recommends no more than 50 ppm per day).

My question is: At this point, how do I get the Calcium and Alk in balance (I'm ideally trying to reach CA 11 and 465 Alk.

Last time I tried to increase my Calk and Alk was about a year ago and I killed most of my new frags, so I'd like to try and get it right this time.

BTW:
PH seems to be stable at 8.3 (I added ChemiPure)
Tank is 60 gallons and been up for about 2 years
Magnesium was 1,400 when I last checked prior to increasing alk
I use Red Sea test kits for everything accept calcium which I use Salafert for

Thanks for the help.

Matt

mfs1855

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
My MG is 1420 (just checked it now). I haven't added any supplement in months. It's entirely from my Red Sea Pro Mix during water changes. I think 1420 while a little high shouldn't be causing the swing. Is that accurate?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: