gnorts

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
So I been out of the hobby for quite some time and just started a tank back up. .....I messed up.. What I thought I purchases was GE Silicone I but instead was II. Excited about setting up a tank again I overlooked this stupid mistake until I notice my frags not happy within 2 days of introducing them. All parameters seem stable and correct which leads me to believe the culprit is the silicone I used. I guess my questions are

Is my only option to break down tank clean and use proper silicone?

Or with a water change regiment for the next couple weeks eventually remove all toxic chemicals in the water?

I do have fish in the tank and there healthy, eating and happy?

Just the 3 frags I have died within 3 days.

I really dont want to break tank down but fear thats my only option.. Im hesistant to blame the silicone though because I Have read articles of people using this silicone with no issues?

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
I would say use proper silicone. Water change over the next few weeks probably won't help much because the mildew resistance will usually last longer then a few weeks (People would get pretty mad if their bathrooms would start molding after a few weeks, basically meaning the chemicals are designed to slow release and last probably at least a year or more)

gnorts

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Tank new ran for a month with just sane and rock.... Introduced to clowns for another week...Everything still good...Introduced Toadstool, Frogspawn, pocillopora frags all dead in three days...Afraid to put anything in the tank now concerned with the silicone now,,.. I never had an issue like that before Ive been in the hobby before just took me 2 years to set something up again

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
My concern is that your fish are surviving while the coral perish. I would think the fish would be just as susceptible to the algecides and fungicides as the coral are.

I would think the fish are less susceptible to them since there are things you can introduce to a fish only tank to get rid of green water which is an algae, and there are fungicides to get rid of fungal infections.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
I would think the fish are less susceptible to them since there are things you can introduce to a fish only tank to get rid of green water which is an algae, and there are fungicides to get rid of fungal infections.

I'm no chemist, but I would think there's a huge difference between a medicinal fungal treatment and a commercial fungicide.

jgraz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I always at a loss as to why people use GE silicone when proper aquarium silicone is so readily available. Most HD's and Lowes stock aquarium silicone you just need to search the section for it. Plus just about every LFS, Petco's, and PetSmart will also carry it.

Anyway back to the issue. If this happened to me I would relocate the livestock and redo the tank.

gnorts

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have a 10 gallon im going to set up for relocation of livestock.. break down tank and re do it all over to avoid future issues that may come.. Im not totally sold on that the silicone is my issue but the only way to truley rule it out is to get rid of it ,,,, Thanks for all the input ill keep you posted on when I get time to break down tank and re do ...unfortunatlly going away this weekend

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: