redwhiteandink

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Hello everyone so here's my issue I have a 12 gallon reef tank with 7 pounds of live rock and about 5 pounds of live sand, I have a Kessil a150 ocean blue, all my corals were doing fine until Sunday I did a water change and put 2 new corals in the tank a clove polyp and a Zoa frag both won't open. All my other corals are doing fine though my Duncan's are growing new heads my star polyps are open and my torch coral is flowing beautifully. Ph 7.8-8.2 ammonia-0 nitrate-0 nitrite-0 calcium 420 I don't have all or mag test kits

Chefjpaul

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
76   0   0
Could be a number of things.
Most likely they are still just adapting to your water parameters & light, depending on where you placed them. (Where did you place them?)

They are new and patience is required, don't go changing things based on a new addition if everything else is stable.

How old is this tank? Measuring Nitrite & ammonia isn't needed at this point.

I suggest you get decent test kits for:
KH, CA, MG, NO3 first.
You're going to want a PO4 soon.

PO4 & NO3 are needed for corals, having zero nitrate isn't healthy. Most likely not the issue here, but FYI.

redwhiteandink

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Ok I'll check them tonight for that, should I just shine a flashlight into the tank randomly? Also I'm going to try to move the clove polyp I have it in a high flow area. I think it could be I'm having a hair algae outbreak and just read Zoas will close at first sign of algae

redwhiteandink

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Chefjpaul the tank is just about 4 months old, and the clove polyp is place in the corner where the flow is high from power head hitting the glass, the light is high almost everywhere in the tank also. I thought having nitrate close to 0 is good but hey you learn stuff everyday

redwhiteandink

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I understand that now I always thought nitrates above 5ppm where dangerous to corals, I never dipped anything but I think I figured it out my hermit crabs were clawing at my leather coral and it ripped open so I tossed it, also getting a protein skimmer and ditching the HOB filter

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: