JoeJawz

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I have a 75 gallon, rectangular reef tank. The bioload is moderate, 1 (small) sailfin tang, six line wrasse, pj cardinal, and a barrel goby. I have about 50 pounds of rock and the sandbed is around 2 inches deep. Most of my cuc died in a little dieout i had a while ago. My tank is stable now and i would like to get another cuc

So my question is: where should I buy it from, and what should I buy?

I am skeptical of anything other than snails, knowing some serpent stars can kill fish, cucumbers can nuke tanks, and crabs can kill fish.

Thanks in advance.

dmort

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to both. I get my CuC critters from Reef cleaners and I get most everything else from the Reef shoppe. Can't go wrong either way.

I bet if you ask the Reef shoppe would give you similar pricing to Reef cleaners.

Smotz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I might be the only person here who does not like the reef shoppe. You guys should start a fan club!

curious - why? I make the trip from CT just for them. Is there better?

Was never a big fan of the MAX reef (or whatever they're called at this point) dynasty. I thought their customer service was poor and their pricing was always different from one employee to another. However, I will say that they're quality was always excellent.

BKLYNREEF123

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
They have big frag tables with only 2 radions each hanging 3' over the tanks with pathetically dim lights. This is fine if you want to pick up frogspawn or a torch. But for sps it's hugely inadequate. The fish are kept in holding tanks the size of a wanton soup container. They have a pathetic selection of dry goods. To be fair most of the shops are the same. They buy corals and fish and try to sell them before they die. IMO if you want great sps the only way to get it is from other reef keepers, or pay crazy prices from the likes of poto and Jason Fox. I just wish some of the LFS did a better job.

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
To be fair most of the shops are the same. They buy corals and fish and try to sell them before they die...
If they keep them till they die, they are much harder to sell!

:scratch: I've even heard rumors that the grocery stores all try to sell their meats, fruits, vegetables, bread and milk before they expire!!!!!

:rolleyes:

Smotz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
They have big frag tables with only 2 radions each hanging 3' over the tanks with pathetically dim lights. This is fine if you want to pick up frogspawn or a torch. But for sps it's hugely inadequate. The fish are kept in holding tanks the size of a wanton soup container. They have a pathetic selection of dry goods. To be fair most of the shops are the same. They buy corals and fish and try to sell them before they die. IMO if you want great sps the only way to get it is from other reef keepers, or pay crazy prices from the likes of poto and Jason Fox. I just wish some of the LFS did a better job.

I agree that it is better to exchange between ourselves.

But, I still say that The Reef Shoppe is one of the better outfits.

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Man listen not a fan club anthony is actually a good friend of mine and he has best prices out, he doesnt keep the fish for more then two or three days its a business not a animal shelter, hes not looking to keep the fish hes looking to sell them as fast as they come in at a great price, the big fish he gets are special orders sometimes people renig on the deal so he has to take the loss and keep the fish until it sells... What store u know has $10 frags? What store u know sells them fish u see that are really expensive at a fraction of the cost?

BKLYNREEF123

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I'm going to be in the Bronx tomorrow. Ill stop by. I would love $10 frags. I would love to support a LFS and am willing to spend 30-80 per frag... Like all of us I spend good hard earned money on this hobby. Maybe I hit it on a bad day... It was when the place was relatively new. I just wasn't impressed with the setup or selection for sps. Just to keep it %100 here is my receipt from a few frags today. Take note I pay cash I'm a small business owner too.
89fa76d12610101cc8f243bf7809dc90.jpg

Mrcrab125

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The reef shop is a small store with great customer service and i think Ant is doing a great job to keep everyone coming back for good deals
The problem i think is people kissing *$$ so much that it gets annoying. And 1 of those is kissing so much that his lips are bleeding but he dont mind because he keeps flipping the fish he gets for cheap
Amen!!!

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This establishment is not even 1 years old. Anthony and his crew are doing amazing job. Evertime I go there they growing. TRS that has no dry goods but now carries Hanna Alk solvent and bubble magus dosing tubes, Salt, pumps, reactors, test kits, ect. They have excellent selection of frozen food(LRS)and (oyster)food for coral. I say everybody is in title to they opinion. But don't knock a store on a light fixture and you haven't been there since they open. They prices are by far setting the bar for other stores to try to keep up with TFS. It's amazing how people can criticize and know everything. If you can do a better job please open LFS. I'm luckily to have TFS and I will continue to support them.

Last edited:

The Reef Shoppe

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
28   0   0

Hey I'm sorry to hear about your disappointment maybe i can break down a couple of details

Radions over sps tank
-We bring in mariculture sps weekly they are extremely sensitive to artificial lighting we are not trying to grow the corals we are aiming to keep them live and get accustomed to artificial lighting
-Flexibility of going through multiple light spectrums on the spot to closely replicate the customers tanks
-leds are extremely cost effective(con ed)
-3 feet above the tanks(very expensive fixtures and sometimes we have to protect our investments)

Reason for fish cubicles is simple we get to isolate fish might be a smaller space but at the same time these fish feel way more comfortable in solitary confinement oppose to being in a tank with multiple fish who may end up adding more stress to the already stressed fish.

Most of all i could not have agreed with you more on our pathetic dry goods sections your 100% correct this store was built by hobbyist who did not have a million dollars to start a business,no loans from a bank,or any type of funds we purely just followed our dreams and hope the business we made will help us grow over time, you said you are small business owner yourself look at your business now compared to when you first started it took time to be the best. We are only 8months old and went from having no dry goods to having rodi units,reactors,pumps and a pretty good selection of dry goods not the best but we are getting there. There has been major improvements daily.

At the end of the day i am still a hobbyist and i no my store is not perfect and will not hesitate to admit that but what store is ? But i wake up every day put my 15 hours in and do the best i can but in due time i no we will be an amazing store just a little time and dedication, from the sound of it I'm guessing you haven't been here in a while come check us out I'm sure the improvements will hit you instantly and I'm sure every time after you will realize how hard we are trying to grow as a business, thank you for taking the time to read this hope i see you soon most of all happy reefing

TRS

jkidd155

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Hey blkny maybe u should open up your own store lol as far the reef shoppe its the spot 2 go 2 n no I am not part of the bandwagon or fan club I just have good experience with them every time I've been there

jcs11236

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
I went to the reef shoppe this past weekend for the first time. I was pretty impressed. The store is small but they are packed with fish and corals. They also have a pretty big selection of dry goods including brs products and all of the esv line. I saw skimmers, sumps and test kits. The selection is not bad at all. Better than a few lfs I have gone to. The store is a lil far if coming from queens but I would definitely go back.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: