Jacob

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys so I have been reading up about salt waters tanks have the basics down from my past experience with African Cichlids. So we have in our office a empty 180 gallon Clear-For-Life Rectangle UniQuarium it has a built-in over flow sump with boiballs and filter (sorry if I am not using the correct wording). So for starters we need a stand a I believe we are having one built out of steel any suggestions would be appreciated. Another issue is being how the tank isn't drilled and only has an over flow and we would like to set up a refugium sump under the tank. I can't figure out how to properly configure this setup and being an acrylic tank we cannot drill it. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Any advise about Uv sterilizers and which would work best for this set up. we are attempting to set up a reef tank but this is our first attempt so any help would be greatly appreciated.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Sent you a pm.
Bio balls/wet dry for a reef tank is counter productive. An acrylic tank can be drilled and the new thing is a ghost style overflow. Fails safe, dead silent and doesn't take up nearly as much room as reef ready design. Depending on budget, what you want the tank to look like, and where it will be placed, steel might not be the way to go. Being realistic about what you want to house in the aquarium, and a well thought out sump design, makes all the difference between a tank that is enjoyed, and one that looks like crap unless it has constant attention.

Johnny Spesis

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have a 180, and went thru Pete, at Brooklyn Zoo. He helped me the most, delivery, set up, rock, and the fish I started with still swim. I spoke with a lot of shop owners with NO HELP! Wouldn't deliver for any $$$. Your stand doesn't need to be steel, thats way over-kill.
Call Pete, he will take care of you.

Jacob

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
almost there

hey guys so i have some more info supposedly this tank is AIO (all in one) with filtration built into the back wet/dry filtration system. i wanted to set up this tank as a reef tank but i am being told that because the tank is acrylic growing coral will be a difficult endeavor. should we bail on this tank, should be drill the tank, or just use the current set up it has. please let me know thank you so much in advance.

this is the tank btw
https://www.petsmart.com/gsi/websto...alty - Fish,&gclid=CJalnbDowMsCFVclgQodrLsBsA

Attachments

• clear for life fish tank back.jpg
    clear for life fish tank back.jpg
    1.6 KB · Views: 487
  • clear for life fish tank front.jpg
    clear for life fish tank front.jpg
    1.1 KB · Views: 481

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
there is no problem have a acrylic tank and growing corals or having it as a reef, many of us have or had acrylic tanks. personally i would remove the bio balls and fill the area where they are with rubble rock. your tank is just a larger version of what i built. i wouldnt drill it as there is no need to and you dont need a sump as it has one built in the back side, you will need a hob skimmer though, what is the width of the over flow area in the back side

Jacob

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you NYreefNoob

thank you so much for clearing this all up and as far as a stand does an acrylic tank have to have a slab or granite or wood to support the tank or a metal frame will be sufficient? thank you so much for everyones help in this matter

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
hey guys so i have some more info supposedly this tank is AIO (all in one) with filtration built into the back wet/dry filtration system. i wanted to set up this tank as a reef tank but i am being told that because the tank is acrylic growing coral will be a difficult endeavor. should we bail on this tank, should be drill the tank, or just use the current set up it has. please let me know thank you so much in advance.

this is the tank btw
https://www.petsmart.com/gsi/websto...alty - Fish,&gclid=CJalnbDowMsCFVclgQodrLsBsA

That's not quite what i said. After you asked me about how to drill the tank, and that ppl told you that acrylic can't be drilled, What i said was ...
-Yeah, you can drill it,
-Yeah, you could do a reef tank with that built in back of the tank filter, but will be greatly limited as to the size of the skimmer you can put, as well as anything else like fuge, filter media, etc.
-Yeah, you could do reef, but with calcium and alkaline levels hi enough for a happy reef, coraline algae will grow, and it's hard enough to keep acrylic from scratching when cleaning regular algae or bacteria from it, with coraline it's even harder.
So add up those factors and that tank wouldn't be a good choice for low maintenance, or easy success.
Yes, i'd guess at a minimum you'll need 3/4", plywood, maybe foam board too. Contact the manufacturer to find out for sure.
i agree with nyreefnoob, chuck the bioballs, but with such a limited space would go with marinepure instead of rock rubble.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: