Johnny Spesis

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
The slug or nudi cleaned shells and rock better than bleach. It seems this critter leaves a white mark, or eats everything down to the bone.
I collected critter to ID, and remove. Some members said I should keep it, NO Thanks, but it's FREE for you! Come and get it! But you won't be happy!!!
This is a real bad pest.
I figure, if I got it someone else has it too.
And I'm sure your tank doesn't want it either.
I'm posting the critter and injury.
:mad:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 225

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
Definitely looks like stomatella. Shouldnt be doing the damage youre describing. I would still be vigilant as the real culprit is probably still in your tank.

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
You dont want the good growth pff your rocks, although you do want to control the growth of various algaes such as hair algae which is not verry appealing to the eye.

SteveZz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I'd agree with the culprit still being in your tank. I haven't seen any of this white rock occurrence happening with my stomatellas. Recently clean the light or increase intensity in any way? Maybe the coraline is just bleaching from the increase in light.

Johnny Spesis

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Is there a snail out there that will clean my rock without taking off the paint?
I don't have an algae problem, and using a UV. Dried seaweed is given once a week for the tangs, but everyone eats it.
I have turbos cleaning now, bristol worms in my sand bed. Do these bumblebee snails clean the rock or the sand?

Johnny Spesis

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
The lights are the same. Just redid the rock lay out, do to my sand blenny. These white spots are in a lot of spots around the tank, and it doesn't seem to be a light issue at all. There's spots in shady spots. Even on the bottom of some pieces and on the far side of the tank, away from direct light. I collected it on the large clam shell, which was covered very well after 3 months in, and now is clean white in the patches shown.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 119

SteveZz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Have you noticed any issues with coral in general since this began? I had an issue in a tank a while back that suddenly bleached some coralline and killed a decent amount of sps coral. Just another thing to think about. I never found out what it was but one thought was chemical ware fare amongst corals.

Johnny Spesis

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I've looked, but I caught this snail in the act. It does seem to be as you have suggested. The white marks are not just by or close to the lights. There are many marks under and in shady spots of rock. There hasn't been any increased damage.
Any ideas on what causes this???

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 89

Johnny Spesis

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
White stuff

Have you noticed any issues with coral in general since this began? I had an issue in a tank a while back that suddenly bleached some coralline and killed a decent amount of sps coral. Just another thing to think about. I never found out what it was but one thought was chemical ware fare amongst corals.

I added a new pic, there hasn't been a change in corals. This snail did the damage. The pic with the large clam shell, has a spot that the snail was resting on before collection. This spot is cleaner or whiter than the rest.
Thanks for your help, I guess I'll hope it goes away, and my coraline covers it back again. It's amazing how many things, pests, good and bad, have come along. I just found a bright red crab, strawberry, maybe.
Yep! I get excited over a crab, but I got horseshoes too......crabs

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: