Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm very new to the hobby (about six months in) and have just bought a 75G bowfront and stand. Figured the next step is the sump and have been looking at the Eschopps R-100. Any feedback or other recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Would make it yourself, and go with the longest 12" wide tank you can fit. Maybe 20long or 30long. Just make sure you can get it in the front or back considering the center support is in the way. Silicone in some glass sections. You will get a lot bigger fuge area, and not be as limited by skimmer size, for a fraction the price.

Welcome to the site

Last edited:

schnags21

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the r100. I like it but you have to buy a specific pump to fit. Return pump area is small. I had to call Eshopp to find out what brand. Almost had to postpone setting up the new tank. Going back I might have paid the extra for something with larger return chamber and without the small inaccessible channel under refugium

CDANN76

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'm using a 20 long. Only thing is you have to put it in through the top before the tank goes on. But I do believe a 30 gal is the same length but higher.Ifs up to you. I'm running a mag 9.5 turned down a little and it's been working great the whole time.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I'm using a 20 long. Only thing is you have to put it in through the top before the tank goes on. But I do believe a 30 gal is the same length but higher.Ifs up to you. I'm running a mag 9.5 turned down a little and it's been working great the whole time.
Mag 9.5 pumping up 5' is way too much flow throu sump and more pump makes more heat. That's like 10x tank volume per hour. Four to six times is the sweet spot. A mag 7 would be perfect fit. Also gotta say on my 72 i went from a mag 7 to an ehiem 1260 and temps went down 3 deg, enough that a chiller was no longer needed.

CDANN76

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I use it because I planned ahead. I have/had multiple reactors coming off the return line. Makes it a bit easier than having multiple smaller pumps for the reactors.( this is not the case any more) Out of the 7-8 yrs this tank has been up. My temps never gone over 78 degrees and That's on the hottest summer day's. I'm usually at a rock solid 77.2 degrees. All in all could I down size my pump yes. But it works fine at the moment so I don't see a need for buying a new pump.
But something to consider for someone just starting out.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Wow, a 9.5 on a 72g at 77deg. That's amazing. How much evaporation per week?

Having a manifold off one pump looks great and of course will cut down on pumps needed. But then it's a guess as to how much is returning to tank, how much throu uv, and whatever else is going on. Doesn't seem to stop a lot of ppl, or stop them from finding success, just something for ppl to consider.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: