reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
All coral are technically filter feeders, problem with xenia use in a sump is they also compete for other nutrients and amino acids that other corals in your tank need to grow. Macro algaes in the sump compete for the same subset of minerals and dissolved organics that the algaes we try to prevent from growing require which is why they are more commonly used.

Rating - 100%
278   0   0
LOL seems like no one has tried this... i got a bunch of Xenia for free last night, but i only got 6700k lighting for my fuge. you think i should give it a try ? or thats not enough lighting ?

anyone else want to try hit me up i can give you some xenia to try

Rating - 100%
141   0   0
All coral are technically filter feeders, problem with xenia use in a sump is they also compete for other nutrients and amino acids that other corals in your tank need to grow. Macro algaes in the sump compete for the same subset of minerals and dissolved organics that the algaes we try to prevent from growing require which is why they are more commonly used.

+1 ... IMO putting anything other than Macro Algae's in the refugium just makes it another display..

oh207

Advanced Reefer
Apex Freak
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Give it a try and see what happens. I grow anthelia under a Par38 bulb in my fuge.

BUT, the most important question is...if it's in the fuge and the door is close and you cannot see it all the time, then is it still considered a display?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
278   0   0
Give it a try and see what happens. I grow anthelia under a Par38 bulb in my fuge.

BUT, the most important question is...if it's in the fuge and the door is close and you cannot see it all the time, then is it still considered a display?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

LOL,

i like how this has gone from Reefing to philosophical.

i've wanted to try but everyone tells me it doesnt work, and i only hae 6700k in my fuge so i didnt think it would work for me because i dont have the proper spectrum

oh207

Advanced Reefer
Apex Freak
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
I think growing xenias is somewhat of a mystery.
Lighting is only part of the equation when it comes to growing Xenia or Anthelia. Sometimes they grow, and other times they just melt away and die. In my tank they grow in waves, or seasons. At one point they grew on everything, across the sand, on top of dead snail shells, on the back wall glass, pretty much everywhere. Then after a while they would suddenly die out. Right now they are on a die-out phase in my tank. Although I've been trying very hard to scrape them off of everything and kill them.
I remember reading that dosing iodine helps them to grow as well.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: