New to NYC need advice - Reefs.com

Home  / Forums  / Global Forums  / Reefs for Beginners  /  New to NYC need advice
Manhattan New to NYC need advice
05-06-2016, 02:29 PM
Hi everyone and super excited about recently moving to NYC to an apartment I could potentially have a 75 gallon tank in. I have not had a saltwater tank in many years and have questions about getting back into the hobby in NYC. First and foremost, I'm on the 20th floor of an apartment building, what if any concerns does this raise? My landlord is fine with me having the tank but was curious if there is anything I need to consider? Any other information that would be beneficial please advise. Thank you

05-06-2016, 04:03 PM
Welcome to NY and welcome back to the hobby. Not a problem. Don't have a flood or it'll end up downstairs. The same way letting the bathtub overflow would.

05-06-2016, 08:59 PM
Just get good insurance for floods.

05-06-2016, 09:33 PM
I would also high recommend setting up an ro/di system in your place. Lugging jugs of water to the 20th floor doesn't sound appealing.

05-07-2016, 11:55 AM
Now that you have to start fresh look into the filtrations that is low maintenance: Sulfur denitrators and Algae scrubbers:

Here is a video of an algae scrubber only system at work;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAqCZlR_Un8

A sulfur denitrator acan be as simple as filling part of a sump chamber with sulfur.

I used both of these together to serves as backup to each other. I had a nitrate level of 80+ ppm. After two weeks of putting some sulfur under a layer of coral rubble and an algae scrubber my nitrate went down to between 0 - 5 ppm.

05-07-2016, 12:57 PM
Sulfur does little to not for phosphates. Where is and what do you do for them?

05-07-2016, 01:42 PM
that is where my algae scrubber come in to play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
Sulfur does little to not for phosphates. Where is and what do you do for them?

05-07-2016, 02:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thChorseman View Post
that is where my algae scrubber come in to play.
That's what i figured. Except your algae removes a lot move no3 than it does po4, so the sulfur isn't needed. What's your po4 level at after a long period of no water change?

05-07-2016, 08:27 PM
I have not measured PO4 in months, but today when I measured it is was around 0.1 ppm and I even use water straight from the tap to top off.

The sulfur dentrator does most of the work when the algae is scraped off and may even do most of the work with nitrate removal, since I feed the fishes and corals 4 - 6 times a day. The scrubber is good for ammonia and phosphate. That is what I think is happening, but I can not prove it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
That's what i figured. Except your algae removes a lot move no3 than it does po4, so the sulfur isn't needed. What's your po4 level at after a long period of no water change?

OG of this here reef game
05-11-2016, 08:30 PM
Hey Keith, welcome to NY. If you're on the 20th floor your floors are concrete. They may be wood but under that its definitely concrete. You can have a 2,000 gallon fish tank if you want. I second what everyone else said, no leaks. Double check plumbing. I use leak detectors, they have them on Amazon. I keep them under the stand in case I do something stupid and cause a leak or spill.