Rating - 100%
141   0   0
Hey guys I have a ? again I know a few guys here are running algae scrubbers , but my ? is are you guys running a skimmer also or is there no need to run a skimmer. please list pros and cons of the scrubber

heres the info for my tank
220 gal with a Proclear 400 sump with a Reef Octopus 3000 Skimmer
Aqua Ultraviolet 57 watts UV

thanks Ken

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
It will consume no3 and po4. Will also help ph swings a bit if you run the light at night.
Depends on how much you feed......many take the skimmer off line once the scrubber is established. On my 220 i'm running both. i notice if i turn off the scrubber for a few days-a week the skimmer does about the same. But if i turn off the skimmer the scrubber grows a lot more a lot faster. Been 7 mos running both with no need for water change, corals doin great. Also have a 55 gal fuge growing caulerpa like crazy. Have experimented and find the fuge does best with 6500k, and ats with red and a bit of blue

Last edited:

5thChorseman

Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Agreed with theMeat. You can take off the skimmer once the algae scrubber is established. Of course you will need a big enough scrubber to take over all the filtering work. You may find this video of interest. He started with a skimmer, filter socks, several reactors now he is just down to a scrubber and some bag of carbon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAqCZlR_Un8

Last edited:

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Agreed with theMeat. You can take off the skimmer once the algae scrubber is established. Of course you will need a big enough scrubber to take over all the filtering work. You may find this video of interest. He started with a skimmer, filter socks, several reactors now he is just down to a scrubber and some bag of carbon.
There's a give and take. Algae will consume more no3 than it will po4. As well as consume magnesium in the process of growing. A skimmer takes out nutrients before they enter the nitrogen cycle, while algae won't. To name a few.

5thChorseman

Rating - 100%
24   0   0
A skimmer will also remove some food particles and microscopic life, that is why many people turn off their skimmer before feeding. A scrubber is more plankton friendly and allow the food particle to circulate through out the tank.

An algae scrubber is also said by some people to release sugars and aminos into the water that coral uptake, but the evidence for this is scant.

A skimmer aerates the water and remove fine particles better, so has it uses.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: