dowellmj

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi, I have a bunch of old previously live rock that I left outside in the yard. I am thinking about using it again in a couple of tanks but want to 'sterilize' and clean before reusing as additional 'base' rock for aquascaping.

Some of this has been there for months so I was thinking of hosing/rinsing to get rid of as much organic matter as possible. Then soaking in boiling water (again outside for a long time so not concerned about toxins from polyps etc) for a few days. Rinsing and cleaning again and then adding piece by piece over a few weeks to the tank in question.

I realize that it will need to recolonate with bacteria etc but if I am minimizing the organic matter that comes with the rock, do I risk it causing another/mini cycle?

wasnt thinking i needed to cure/cycle

BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
whats worked for me was simply rinsing off any dirt, put it in a tub with a fresh batch of saltwater with a heater and powerhead for a few weeks, change out all the water and add as much from your tank you can spare from a water change, then put a poly-pad in there to see what it may be leaching, it changes colors based on what is in there.
The other ideas mentioned are ok, but I never could be sure Im rinsing off all the bleach, acids, etc,, and Im not boiling rocks for hours. those rocks will get hot and take a while to cool off.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my two cents here, but if you left it outside and it wasn't soaking in water (fresh or salt), I think the dried out rock likely doesn't have that much living stuff on it, relative to a mature piece of live rock.

My own recommendation would be to scrub it with a brush (like a clean potato brush) to get off any dried marine life, dirt and the top layer of life on it. Rinse thoroughly and soak it in a bucket of fresh water and you're probably fine.

If you're concerned about a mini cycle, you could put it in a tub of saltwater, heat it and test for ammonia (or use an ammonia badge).

I've done the same thing before and just scrubbed it and put it back in the tank. I did ditch one rock that was covered in dirt b/c it wasn't worth the time and risk to clean it.

Any reason to think other nasty chemicals got on or in the rock while outside? That's the one reason on my mind that would make me pause.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: