louoner

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
72   0   0
Hi guys. I need to catch a lunar wrasse that just eats every invert and won't let me add any other fish. He's about 4 inches. Anybody knows if a fish trap will work and if so where can I order one from? Thanks

BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
what i do is get a sheet of acrylic from home depot, few bucks, and when they're near one side or the other of the tank a place the sheet so they can't leave that area, easier to catch that way. five minutes.

thomashtom

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Or you can get a small basket from the dollar store looks like a small laundry basket. Float it in tank using strips of Styrofoam attach with plastic ties. Let the fish get used to it by feeding near it for a day or two and when he is not looking scoop him up or sometimes they swim right into it while they are eating.

Adamc1303

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Easiest way without rearranging your tank is to use a fish trap. I have an aqua medic one. It's a glass box with a door that slides down once the fish get inside. I put it in with some LRS reef frenzy and as soon as the fish goes in I drop the fishing line which drops the door closed. FYI if you do use a trap like this drop it as soon as the fish gets in even if it's with other fish at the same time. You can always add them back and after a failed attempt the fish usually know it's amazing so keep in mind you have one shot. You can also cut the neck off a soda bottle and then put it back inside out. Place food in the bottle and the fish have an easier time swimming in then out. I have never used that method though, just heard about it.

ScubaDre

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
That bottle trap is how I caught my neon dottyback... Peaceful tank since.

Attachments

• IMG-20160822-WA0009.jpg
    IMG-20160822-WA0009.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 155
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
go to a fishing store buy a tiny hook and some line. try to hand catch it with the line haha. worked for me but my hook and bait was too big =(. the fish ate the food with the hook on it asap multiple times doesn't even realize theres a hook and line on it . you might need a tweezer to get the hook out safely GL..

Last edited:

rjl09

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you have small cup wide enough for the fish, just simply feed your tank some frozen food with the cup (container). Wrasses are usually at the top waiting for the food. Once the food is dumped, simply place the cup back into the tank near the fish and it will create a suction and Boom. Caught clowns, firefishes and wrasses before.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: