Vwcrakerjack

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been running my tank for about a year now. It's a 50g cube and has a sump with about 15-20g a decent sized fuge with lots of plant growing. I run a maxspec at 80% it ramps up and down over a 12 hour period and light for fuge kicks on right before lights go off. I my tank started out great. Corals looked so alive etc. I took a my business into commercial restaurant construction and am now on the road more than home. All my water parameters test okay on my tests. My cal alk and mag were high so I turned down the doser.
Cal 500
Alk 11-12
Mag 1800-2000
Nitrate-0-2
I realized my salinity was a bit high today 1.033

I hired a company to come in a clean tank every three weeks and do water changes. And he sucked up the sand bed and now I'm getting brown algae on sand my corals look like crap. None of them are opening except for recordia and GSP. Bubble coral is staying about 1/2 open. I don't know what to do. And I don't know if my tests are accurate. Is there any places around Brooklyn or Staten Island that can do a test for me who people know and trust? I was thinking of doing another big water change also.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Cal on the high side
Alk too hi
Mag way too hi

If you'v been doing regular water changes it's probably not an issue, but sometimes if all the other trace elements that can't practically be tested for get too hi or more likely low, that can be a problem too.

Your fuge light should go on for 14 hours at night, when the tank lights go off, to help avoid your ph from swinging. Lights go on, ph goes up. Ph goes up, alk goes up with it. Alk goes up, cal goes down. Mag not in the 1200 to 1600 range, cal and alk more prone to swing around.

Get your salinity down with straight ro water, and see where your at.

Vwcrakerjack

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex turns on fuge lights at 11pm and they stay on for 13 hours. Then tank lights do a progressive ramp up etc. I just did an5 gallon WC. one thing I forgot to mention is my previous tank which did extremely well until it sprung a leak. I mixed all my own salt water with instant ocean salt. This tank I went the nutrisea premixed water route Not sure how or if that stuff works but I can say that the salinity was always different in the buckets so I'd have to add or subtract to make it right.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: