Air breather

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Hi all, this is my first post. had koi for 20 year. alway want to try salt water reef. a friend of my give me a 110 gal reef tank. and i'm starting to read up on it. any advise to a better experience would be appriciated. will post some picture and equipment list soon.

aaron23

!THE ULTIMATE REEFER!
Rating - 98.3%
234   4   0
awesome welcome to MR! if you have questions im sure we can lead you with info and in the right direction

mrdobie

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
Welcome to MR. The best advice we can start wit is slow and steady. Have patience. And if you dont have it learn it quick. Nothing good in this hobby happens fast. Only bad thing happen fast. Good luck and have fun.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Welcome to the hobby and the site

Coupla things many learn the hard way, some never
-Get the biggest sump you can fit.
-Have a very large refugium and/or algae scrubber, and/or biopellet reactor if you no likey water changes.
-Don't oversize your return pump, 3-6 times display volume is the sweet spot. Anything more than 10x is counter productive.
-Get a skimmer that processes around the same gph that your return pump is returning.
-There's some overpriced crap that everyone seems to want because it's perceived chic. Like Dr. Dre headphones that cost twice as much and sound half as good as some others, yet ppl want them. Then there's pricey stuff that's totally worth it. Like Eheim pumps. Then there's really good stuff at really good prices, almost seems to good to be true
-Be honest with yourself about what you want your tank to do. So many trying to save money on lights and circulation pumps, thinking it's good enough for whatever, then have to buy again, and buy better, wasting money.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: