Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Has any one had any experience with a Saddle Valentini puffer??

Looking to incorporate one into my tank but I'm curious as to its behavior and aggressiveness towards tank mates and inverts.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
I have them in my reef tank and fish only tank and for the most part they're not going to bother any other fish and most fish will leave them alone. They can be a little shy and will inflate if need be. They swim a little slow and take their time in getting to food, so you need to make sure that they eat. Also, they swim slow and like to hang around power heads and can be sucked into or they get stuck onto one, so you need to be careful with power heads in the tank. They same goes if you have canister filters, make sure the ends have the strain on them.

As for inverts and corals, I haven't had a problem with them eating any corals, as for inverts, well they're in a tank with cleaner & blood shrimp and snails but they haven't bother either. Now they may go after hermit crabs and the larger ones may so after other crabs or snails.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Yeah my concern is honestly more with inverts. I wanna add a red linkia and blood shrimp and eventually corals, but would prefer to not just be providing an expensive meal to the puffer.

Well haven't purchased anything yet...I'll think about it some more.

Thanks for the imput.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Agreed
As long as current isn't crazy strong, and tank mates don't constantly pick on or fight when feeding, all good.

They only special need that is necessary is small uncooked shrimp of some kind, still in it's shell, to wear down their teeth. Once every week or two. Once the teeth get too long they can't open their mouth to eat food thay may help, it's not a pretty death. Valentines teeth dont grow as big or fast as some others. I used to smoosh some clam onto a pointy jagged rock and let her pick it off. Not always so easy with other fish around. Some will/can eat small ghost shrimp. Then you'r golden, except for the getting ghost shrimp regularly. Think pellets partially help too.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: