filipino

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
i need help for light setting for my AI hydra 52. I have birds nest corals and some LPS corals. i need help for light setting you can recommend for growth and coloration. I'm starting to grow SPS corals. i have 45 gallon cube tank and the light hang 10 inches above the water line. Any help is greatly appreciated

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
U.V 40%
Violet 30%
Deep Blue 85%
Royal Blue 90%
Green 25%
Red 30%
White 65%

Somewhere around there ^
Maybe 10% lower on all colors since your tank is 18H.
Alot of it has to do with what color light you want to look at, but too much green, red and uv can lead to issues.

Would also recommend using the acclimation period option, and see how it goes

Spartanwarrior

Reefer Always Learning
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
second the Meat. A lot has to do with wattage. I tried asking AI about a recommended course of action and they gave my diddly. Its all in the eye of the beholder. Depending on the power of what you had on there originally, I would def recommend the acclimation period option. Always better to start on the medium to low side and ramp up weekly as you notice things not looking great. HYRDAS are powerful lil buggers. I also change my ratio from looking more white in the morning, and then the blues come out about midday. My ramp period is about 2-3 hrs and my highest wattage is 78% at the moment, for 6 hours. I plan to go up to around 90%, over the course of a month or so and see how that works.

If you really want to do it right, Pop Corals in BK rents PAR meters for $100 deposit and $20 a day. Aim for a PAR of about 600/700 at the very top of the water line, 200-300 at the bottom and corners. This helped me realize I needed a second 52 on my tank bc I was getting readings of about 35 in my corners...death zones. Highly recommended.

Good luck. It takes time to find the best balance. I'm only starting with SPS and always look to see how others have their lighting. Underrated measurement.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
What kind of issues does too much UV lead to? I have had mine at 100% on my radion for the past year with no issues.
Have heard that too much uv can cause over photosynthesis, i.e. bleaching. But depends on alot. Like how clear your water, how close corals to light, particular coral's needs, etc. Also uv lighting directly to coral with leds is pretty new, so you'r at the forefront of this.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: