rich

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I am having problems with my frags staying in place now that have better motors. WaterWeld and epoxy doesnt seem to work on pukani rock. Any advice? Besides that the snails also seem to knock them over and I dont want to lose my corals. TIA

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
f79a8c26687392fd6ffc786a1de7a10c6b.jpg

rich

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I guess I can try one. I even got a rip off expensive glue at manhattan aquarium but it did not keep my live rock together so wont even try it on my frags.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
it helps if you clean off the 2 areas you want to join with a tooth brush of something before you glue it. It also helps to try and make it a flat surface to flat surface bond.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
loctite super glue that i posted in pic above is also an ethyl cyanoacrylate based glue. Is aquarium safe and dries quickly under water. Its just not marketed as an "aquarium glue" so it's half the price for the same stuff.
It's sold everywhere. Staples, lowes, homecheapo, etc.

ourcoralreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
+3 on the ic gell if your doing it under water it helps if you smudge some on the rocks first you can also smudge around the connection point use disposable gloves or just peel it off your fingers once it dries

Last edited:

Reef Trends

www.reeftrends.com
Vendor
Rating - 100%
131   0   0
IC-Gel is generally regarded as the best 'brand' of Ethyl cyanoacrylate based glue commonly used in aquariums applications. Although it just like most any commonly available 'super glue' is perfectly fine. Most any glue marketed for aquarium use is just that as the main ingredient is the same. If you shop around just make sure you check the ingredients and that Ethyl cyanoacrylate is the only ingredient and preferably in a 'gel' form since it is easier to work with. That being said I still like IC-Gel for its ease of use but have been known to run to Lowes or HD in a pinch and works just fine. Little trick is to dry off the base of the frag, plug or rock before applying the glue then dip it into the water to activate the hardening process finally pressing it into place under water and holding it for a minute or two.

SteveZz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Storing it in the freezer tends to keep it from drying out. Keeps the cap clear for me always ready to use when I take it out of there. Before I started doing that all of those types of glue dried out on me before I could finish using them. One of the best tips I got on MR was to keep it in the freezer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ourcoralreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Storing it in the freezer tends to keep it from drying out. Keeps the cap clear for me always ready to use when I take it out of there. Before I started doing that all of those types of glue dried out on me before I could finish using them. One of the best tips I got on MR was to keep it in the freezer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting i never had ic gell dry out on me before (i keep it in the cabinet under the tank with my fraging equipment)
but now i know you learn something new every day

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
i have a tube of ic jel thats been open for almost 2 yrs and still good. no freezer.
try using both epoxy and jel. put jel on frag then epoxy then jel over epoxy, and stick it with a twisting motion where you want it. works well for me

rich

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
i have a tube of ic jel thats been open for almost 2 yrs and still good. no freezer.
try using both epoxy and jel. put jel on frag then epoxy then jel over epoxy, and stick it with a twisting motion where you want it. works well for me

thanks. I thought the jel was epoxy. how do you guys remove epoxy from your nails

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: