Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to build beautiful saltwater tank.
I want to build 200 gallon tank with best, latest equipment so in the end I only add salt to the water.

Need all the list for best equipment out there.
Who wants to get with me on the project let me know.

thanks.
Yur

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Looking to build beautiful saltwater tank.
I want to build 200 gallon tank with best, latest equipment so in the end I only add salt to the water.

Need all the list for best equipment out there.

Not everyone will agree on what's 'the best'...
IMO, buying the best/latest/most expensive equipment is not a guarantee of success...
ask lots of questions here before spending your money...

You'll probably need to add more than just salt to the water!

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
My best advice if you're totally new and want the best of the best (meaning i assume you have a nice budget).... Try to go tour local reefers tanks. You can get a feel for some of the equipment in action and figure out what people like and dont like about their equipment.

Odysi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Unless your gonna have your tank maintained by someone else, get ready to do alot more then just adding salt. Best advice that was given to me was taken my time research the equipment and direction you want to take your tank and go slow there is nothing worse then having to back track because you missed something.

Kendall

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
No such equipment exists. There is a lot involved in a "saltwater tank" Equipment is only half of it. If you do not want to be hands on then you will need to hire a service to set up and maintain your tank. If you're a hobbiest then you will need to select equipment to meet your goals.

Do you have a budget? Do you know what it can cost? Rough estimates are $30-50 per gal to start a "saltwater tank". And if you are new to it, mistakes are expensive and costs life of inhabitants........

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
You can absolutely design a tank that needs little to no maintenance. Aside from cleaning the glass, and emptying the skimmer and/or fuge, and/or algae scrubber. Depending on the livestock you have, can even automate feeding

Not that you'd ever hear that or get that type of set up from someone who wants maintenance work

Kendall

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
you can absolutely design a tank that needs little to no maintenance. Aside from cleaning the glass, and emptying the skimmer and/or fuge, and/or algae scrubber. Depending on the livestock you have, can even automate feeding

not that you'd ever hear that or get that type of set up from someone who wants maintenance work

lol

Reef Trends

www.reeftrends.com
Vendor
Rating - 100%
131   0   0
You can absolutely design a tank that needs little to no maintenance. Aside from cleaning the glass, and emptying the skimmer and/or fuge, and/or algae scrubber. Depending on the livestock you have, can even automate feeding

Not that you'd ever hear that or get that type of set up from someone who wants maintenance work

Actually I already talked to him and am hopefully working it out fully automated. To be honest I don't really like doing maintenance. I like designing and building systems. Even if doing maintenance I would really like to educate the client as much as possible about how to maintain their own system so at the very least are more in-tune with it to know when things are doing good and bad. Also they do have auto glass cleaners :) Even mentioned that...

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Actually I already talked to him and am hopefully working it out fully automated. To be honest I don't really like doing maintenance. I like designing and building systems. Even if doing maintenance I would really like to educate the client as much as possible about how to maintain their own system so at the very least are more in-tune with it to know when things are doing good and bad. Also they do have auto glass cleaners :) Even mentioned that...
Refreshing to see someone who's likeminded. Probably don't have to tell you how many tanks I've seen that were clearly designed with ongoing maintenance in mind.

With all the new, innovative and productive mech, tech and info in the hobby over the last few years, it's an interesting and great time to be in the hobby. While they still have their place it's amazing how things like reef ready overflows, filter socks, and so many other things are still touted. With that said guessing you're talking about the "robosnail" for automatic glass cleaning? Unless you can turn me into something I'm not aware of. Have seen the robosnail in action. It's basically a magfloat that doesn't go close enough to the sides or the bottom to be effective, imo. And like a magfloat won't scrub the algae off completely, as a proper scrapper would. Even if the magfloat is fitted with the scrapper blade, which makes it slightly more effective. But guess even at the like $300 dollars the robosnail is priced at they will find a place in the hobby.

Anyway, from what I can gather you seem like a nice stand up guy. Hope our paths cross one day. Always good to meet cool people in the hobby.

Last edited:

BKLYNREEF123

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Budget no problem.
I need good equipment, no time on maintenance

This isnt a hobby for someone with no time for it. Even if you pay to have someone maintain your tank you are still the person who is there who sees the tank day to day, and has to deal with the small tasks between services. If you really have no time to do any work on the tank you should find a different hobby.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: