CORALBEAUTY

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
Hi I can use some advice.

I have a 72 gallon bow front tank. Im currently running a Jebao pp4 and pp8.They worl well bur thier flow is somewhat uneven and its annoying that even with master/slave mode they are difficult to fine tune.
My rock work is against the back of the tank and goes up pretty high; about an inch below my coast to coast overflow (which takes up a significant amount of room on top of the tank). This blocks the flow from making a complete circuit in the back of the tank.

I purchased a maxspect Gyre fx230. I figured it would be enough to replace my two Jebao. But even on its highest power it doesn't create enough flow on the opposite end of the tank while wrecking havoc on the side its on.

Im thinking of 3 options:

1) get another fx230 and run it on the opposite end of the tank with both on low power
2) get an fx250 to replace the 230 in hopes it'll be powerful enough to move the water on the opposite end without destroying the side its on. However, this seems unlikely.
3) stick with my two jebaos and reposition them so that I have better flow; gyres were simply not meant for my tank. I would also purchase a wifi controller that would give me a better handle on them.

My main concerns are:
1) flow
2) electricity use. I don't mind the initial cost of the system as much as I want the wattage to be low.
3) initial cost
4) Aesthetics. Don't want to take up any more room in the tank with bulky power heads.

If anyone else with a 72bow or any advice please let me know.

Thanks!!

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
From what i've seen, it seems the gyre pumps are meant to operate more efficiently with minimal rock work which is located in the center of the tank (back to front) that way there is room for water to go both in front of and behind the rocks. The rock you are describing prevents water from returning to the side with the gyre pump via a route behind the rocks. I agree that a 250 may not be a great option for you either. If it was me, I would stick with individual pumps on either side of the tank.

They do not necessarily need to be equal sized pumps either. if they are unequal pumps that may leave some areas of the tank with lower flow and higher flow which will allow a greater variety of corals to be kept happy within the same system.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Sometimes one pump gets more flow...
If two pumps are pointed in the same direction then not so much. Because both push and pull water in the same direction.
But if they,r on opposite sides of the tank, then one pumps flow collides with others and reduces flow.
If you run more than one pump, then try to point one's flow, into where the other pump sucks, so they don't collide flows, instead compliment or add to one another.
Try to stack the rock loosely to allow flow throughout the rock work itself, and try to make a tunnel of sorts where the rock doesn't touch the glass along the bottom.
On my 72 bow I had one rw8 about a third from the bottom back corner, pointed at the top of the front about 2/3 down the length of the front. The back of the pump pulled flow throu the rocks and from the back. While the front of the pump shot out toward the front of the tank, and the curved glass deflected the flow so it made full circle back to the back of the pump where the pump was sucking. If anything it was too strong, and I struggled with keeping it low enough to avoid sandstorms

Last edited:

CORALBEAUTY

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
That's the problem I'm facing now with my two jebao, without having some sort of controller for them it's impossible to fine to them to the point where they are maximally effective. Instead, I either have a sand storm or unequal flow. I see that a third party makes some sort or control unit for jebao. I think I'm going to give it a shot.
It's a shame because the maxspects are obviously superior but they arnt being effective in my tank.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Put one or both pumps in same location, pointed in the same general direction. Would try else mode first. Play with the dial/knob. Start all the way on left/fast, then turn it a bit toward slow, give it few minutes to see what it does, then turn it again toward slow, until you get sand moving then dial it back a bit.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: