Craig2051

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have been reading about curating live rock. Does this only pertain to live rock that is being shipped to me over a time period? What if I was to go to a local pet store and buy the live rock from them? What would be the curating process if I buy live rock directly from the pet store that could be placed in the tank within 30 minutes of purchase? Just to note I currently have no fish in the aquarium.

Thanks!

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
theirs always rock fs here, why pay 10.00 lb
you can still get a cycle with any rock if its out of water prolonged. just monitor your amonia and nitrite. if theirs nothing live in the tank then have patience and let it cycle.

Craig2051

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is $8 a lb expensive for live rock? One of the lps said they would give me a discount if I paid in cash and bought all 75 lbs at once.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
The lfs could sell you live cured rock, but there's still a chance it has bad stuff on it.. Like flatworm, aptasia, Ich, whatever.
If you buy dry rock and put it all in at once it will most likely cause a cycle but with no fish no worries, and no worries about putting something bad in.
Plus if you buy dry rock than you'll get more per pound because your not paying for the water. You'll be able to semi set it up with ease out side the tank. Like maybe flattening the bottom of some of your base rocks so they sit steady.
Pukani is some of my favorite rock. It's real nice to look at. Is very porous so it makes it light (more per pound) as well gives it a biological advantage, and it easy to shape and work with.
Here's link
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/bulk-dry-live-rock-live-sand/dry-live-rock.html
Welcome to the site and the hobby

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
The hitchhikers and biodiversity on live rock used to be an exciting part of the hobby. Most places seem to be switching to dry or painted synthetic stuff for sustainability or responsible reefing :). Any rock will eventually house nitrifying bacteria and be "live", but true live rock, uncured, will add all kinds of life to your tank. It's true that some live rock might unwanted pests such as red planaria, gorilla crabs, possiblly aptasia, and bristle worms (which i actually like). It's also true that true live rock, fresh from the ocean, will contain more sponge, types of coraline, and even different bacterial strains.

There's ups and downs with any rock choice.
1) I choose to use fresh from the ocean live rock and "cure" it in a garbage can until there is no ammonia or nitrite since die off will occur through shipping. This is the most expensive method, difficult to locate a good source, but I like the life on the rock.

2) My second choice would be live rock from a pristinely maintained reef that someone might be selling, but this can take some time to find in the sale forums.

3) 3rd choice some kind of clean dry rock and cycle in the tank. Downside is lack of biodiversity, and it takes more time to look natural, but still a good choice.

4) lfs store bought rock varies. In a maintained system it's usually ready to go. You probably won't even cycle, but some LFS's just throw their rock in a giant vat ad let it sit. This is the worst choice that you can make. Rock can be an absolute phosphate bomb. It could take months to clear the hair algae which will constantly regrow from the internal po4 source. Avoid poorly maintained rock at all costs.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: