Green finger leather toxin - Reefs.com

Home  / Forums  / Global Forums  / Reefs for Beginners  /  Green finger leather toxin
Question Green finger leather toxin
04-28-2017, 06:56 PM
Hey everyone, I know chemical warfare is pretty common among softies, but has anyone experienced an issue with xenia suffering from the toxins of another softie? I got a new frag of green finger leather and placed it near my xenia. A hermit crab then displaced it and put it on top of my xenia which, to my surprise, suffered and is currently showing dead tissue. A good clump looks like it's on the road to recovery, but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue. Thanks!

Dre
04-28-2017, 07:10 PM
Every coral have some kind of defense, some worse than others. Leathers are on the mild side however leathers kill other leathers and as you experienced they can kill Xenias too.

Last edited by Dre; 04-28-2017 at 07:12 PM.

04-28-2017, 07:15 PM
Interestingly, my green leather is currently touching a Ricordea mushroom which seems to not be affected. I'm guessing the stress of a new environment may have triggered a larger release of toxin in the case of the xenia.

Dre
04-28-2017, 07:22 PM
I don't think so. You said your hermit knocked it over on it yes?

04-28-2017, 07:30 PM
Yeah, I just introduced the green finger, a hermit crab then knocked it over onto the xenia, and the next thing I know the xenia is closed up and disintegrating the next morning where the finger leather touched it.