joereefer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So as the title explains I have about 2 months and 15 days running a reef tank 36 gallon all in one. Im running a protein skimmer made by Inno. Marine called the Ghost (Full Size edition), and I'm also running BioPellets. 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, 0 Nitrate as well. I just recently got small frags of Red and Green Monti also Mystic Sunset Monti. I also got a small frag of Ricordia Yuma, and I have a clean up crew in full affect (snails, hermit, emerald). As far as fishes I just have 1 blue chormi and a Darwin Clownfish. Now after that full review of what I have in my tank LOL. Now back to my initial question, when is the proper time to start dosing the tank for Cal, Mag, and Alk? Does anyone believe its too soon for me to worry? and I should wait a little longer? Or do you guys believe its never too soon. Again I'm a newbie and just wanna be able to have long life with all my livestock, and def. accomplish a beautiful reef tank.

Serious advice and tips please !! Thank you so much in advance to those that do help.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
No need to check every other day. Cal and alk don't get depleted that quickly. Magnesium gets depleted the slowest of the 3. Once your levels start to fall out of range, when you start dosing, then you should chech levels everyday until you find the right balance of how much to dose. If magnesium is low it will cause alk and cal to swing around, but with regular water changes you likely won't have to dose magnesium to stay in range.

Welcome to the site and the hobby

joereefer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
No need to check every other day. Cal and alk don't get depleted that quickly. Magnesium gets depleted the slowest of the 3. Once your levels start to fall out of range, when you start dosing, then you should chech levels everyday until you find the right balance of how much to dose. If magnesium is low it will cause alk and cal to swing around, but with regular water changes you likely won't have to dose magnesium to stay in range.

Welcome to the site and the hobby

Thank you. I'll go ahead and buy the test kit for all 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: