Skimmer Upgrade Reef octo vs nyos vs deltec - Reefs.com

Home  / Forums  / Global Forums  / Reefs for Beginners  /  Skimmer Upgrade Reef octo vs nyos vs deltec
Skimmer Upgrade Reef octo vs nyos vs deltec
05-12-2017, 11:01 AM
hey MR,
i was thinking of upgrading my skimmer, im currently running a skimz skimmer but over time they seem to get noisier.

im looking for an upgrade the choices are NYOS 120, reef octopus Regal 150 SSS, pr deltec 1351.

the nyos looks nice but ive read some good reviews but i also hear alot of bad about that skimmer. and i hear they dont stand behind their products when it breaks down fairly easily.

i know the reef octopus is tried and true and thats what im leaning towards
but i hear deltec makes some of the best skimmers out there for the money you pay.

just wanted to hear peoples opinion on things.
anyone have experience with deltec skimmers ?

05-12-2017, 08:41 PM
Nyos nice, some weak spots. Reef octopus a beast, and best bang for buck. If you want quiet, and steady once dialed in, vertex omega

If you can get air fed to skimmer from outside, any Skimmer, much quieter

Last edited by theMeat; 05-12-2017 at 08:43 PM.

Lee
05-15-2017, 03:06 PM
I've had a Nyos 160 for 1-1.5 years now and it has been working flawlessly since day 1. I can't say anything about the company standing behind their product because I have had no issues. However, I believe costumer service is handled through Ecotech Marine, and I have had nothing but good customer service from them over the years. As far as the quality of the Nyos; it is a really, really nice skimmer. I love the fine tuning that can be done on this thing to get just the right amount of bubbles vs water, the size of the bubbles, and flow rate. Most importantly; it does a great job skimming and this is by FAR the quietest skimmer I have ever heard (or not heard).

www.reeftrends.com
05-15-2017, 05:34 PM
Nyos in my limited experience has really good customer service as they are supported by Ecotech. Had one for an install missing the impeller cover and got one shipped out promptly. All great choices though.

Reef Trends
Aquarium Solution Services
707-666-FISH

05-15-2017, 07:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Trends View Post
Nyos in my limited experience has really good customer service as they are supported by Ecotech. Had one for an install missing the impeller cover and got one shipped out promptly. All great choices though.
Stinks when you pay that kinda money and don't even get all the parts you need to make it work

05-15-2017, 08:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
I've had a Nyos 160 for 1-1.5 years now and it has been working flawlessly since day 1. I can't say anything about the company standing behind their product because I have had no issues. However, I believe costumer service is handled through Ecotech Marine, and I have had nothing but good customer service from them over the years. As far as the quality of the Nyos; it is a really, really nice skimmer. I love the fine tuning that can be done on this thing to get just the right amount of bubbles vs water, the size of the bubbles, and flow rate. Most importantly; it does a great job skimming and this is by FAR the quietest skimmer I have ever heard (or not heard).
Yeah, let me guess, you have a NYos,

The weak spots are those titanium screws going into acrylic. Be particularly careful with the long one that holds the bubble plate.

Vertex are simply quieter. Vertex has silicone hose connecting pump to body, and the pump also sits on silicone feet. Which isolates the pump vibration pretty much completely. The only thing quiet designed into nyos is the fact that their pumps use so lil power. Btw, good on them for finally getting away from those Edan pumps, they were a disaster

05-15-2017, 09:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
Stinks when you pay that kinda money and don't even get all the parts you need to make it work
yea pay that kind of cash to have not stella reviews, i think ill go with the tried and true reef octopus
none of the vertex skimmers fit my sump thats why the limited options

Last edited by brooklynreefers; 05-15-2017 at 09:42 PM.

05-15-2017, 09:47 PM
Get a Royal Exclusiv Bubble King. The best skimmer in the market.
http://royalexclusiv.com/Skimmer/Skimmer:::5_11.html

05-15-2017, 10:17 PM

05-16-2017, 09:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atorres53 View Post
Get a Royal Exclusiv Bubble King. The best skimmer in the market.
http://royalexclusiv.com/Skimmer/Skimmer:::5_11.html
lol they also charge best skimmer prices. i would love to have a bubble king