Eddie7145

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my powder brown tang developed ich a few weeks after being put in my tank, I soaked l food in garlic and added a capfull of garlic to the water, I get daily and the ich went away in a few days, give it a try

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
drop the salinity and run a uv for a while, make sure your fish are eating youll be fine. stay away from copper theres no turning back once you use it.

In a newish Tank that won't be enough. Uv, lowering salt, as well as good diet and low stress will all help but is not a cure.

Ich has a life cycle. So when you see the white spots go away that only tells you that the ich is in a different stage of their life cycle

Brooklyn83

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
17   0   1
I had my fair share of experience with ick, the live in the sand and reproduce in the water column or vice versa. What worked for me is soaking the food in garlic, lowering the salinity, running a uv, and getting a cleaner wrasse. Ick will always be in his system, he has to lower the amount and keep his fish healthy. If he wants to fully "cure" his tank he needs to use chemicals like copper, my opinion would be to stay away from copper because he might want to go reef. Oh and water changes

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Garlic doesn't kill Ich, it may stimulate the fish to eat, but it doesn't kill them off or keep the fish from getting reinfected with ich again. Lowering the SG only works when you drop it below 1.009,(Hypo) anything else doesn't really do anything to kill off the ich or from keeping the fish from getting reinfected again. Running a UV will keep the ich, and other parasite, in check some what but it doesn't remove them from tank. Cleaner wrasse and Cleaner shrimp don't remove ich from fish, especially since the ich is usually deep inside the fish, and you only see the white spots as it goes into its finally stage before it gets ready to start over again.

Can you have a tank ich free? Yes you can.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Garlic doesn't kill Ich, it may stimulate the fish to eat, but it doesn't kill them off or keep the fish from getting reinfected with ich again. Lowering the SG only works when you drop it below 1.009,(Hypo) anything else doesn't really do anything to kill off the ich or from keeping the fish from getting reinfected again. Running a UV will keep the ich, and other parasite, in check some what but it doesn't remove them from tank. Cleaner wrasse and Cleaner shrimp don't remove ich from fish, especially since the ich is usually deep inside the fish, and you only see the white spots as it goes into its finally stage before it gets ready to start over again.

Can you have a tank ich free? Yes you can.
Agreed
You can have an ich free tank whether or not you had ich in it before.

Will slightly disagree and say that with most strains of ich .009 sg will kill it, but only in it's free swing/looking for a host stage. But lowering sg even a little will reduce stress for fish, and increase stress for inverts like Ich

Your tank either has ich or it does not. Whether the environment and diet is good enough for them to survive is a whole nother story

Will also say that if a Tank, rocks, whatever has been treated with copper it can once again house coral. Just that rocks and sand take a long time, like a year or so, of regular water changes and running carbon to release it enough to be safe. Less porous surfaces like glass and plastics take much less time

Last edited:

samster

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
you shouldn't start bashing at LFS (pacific aquarium) for ich because every LFS will sell you fish that's been exposed to ich, best bet is to rid DT of fish and run a hypo QT tank for the complete ich cycle and a little more, anything esle either kills your whole DT or is just a temp fix until the ich reproduce again. Copper just kills everything, kick ich doesn't do nothing, garlic only makes the food tastier. I've seen guys that keep their tanks well maintained and their fish barely get more than 1 or 2 specks of ich if they get stressed out. So you might be able to live with the problem, if you keep up the quality and don't have the fish stressed out. It also depends on the type of fish, skiddish type tangs will most likely always have ich out breaks if ich is present in tank, but certain fish like chromis/clowns seems to never get a outbreak unless it's very stressed and/or unhealthy.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: