Craig2051

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
Within the last week I have had almost all of my fish die. So far my 2 occelarris clownfish, yellow eye kole tang, flame angel, & sand sifting starfish have all died. The only fish remaining are my foxface and firefish as well as my coral banded shrimp. I haven't noticed any signs of ick in any of the fish that have died. The water levels are as follows: salt level - 1.025, PH - 8.2, Ammonia - 0 , Nitrite - 0, Nitrate - between 0-5 ppm, Calcium - 440, dkh - 8 , Phosphate - 0.25. I add Complete Trace(which i'm not sure if it really helps) and calcium supplement whenever it falls below 400 ppm and perform 10-15% water changes weekly. Can anyone explain this sudden onset of all of my fish dying?

Craig2051

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda looked like the fins started to waste away. They started not swimming good and by the next day they were dead. Since all those fish have died, my foxface and firefish have been doing fine for the last week.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
It could be marine velvet it could also be that you had too many fish and that system couldn't handle it, which cause ammonia burns or a secondary infection which lead to the fish dying.

How long has the tank been running and did you add any fish recently?

At this point I would do a water change and just leave the tank alone for a couple of weeks and see if the remaining fish are doing OK. If over that time everything is OK then at that point trying one more fish and see how it does.

Craig2051

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank was running for about 3 months before adding fish and for 2 months as I added a fish every two weeks. It's a 75 gallon tank with 75 lbs of live rock.

MDreef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Sorry to hear that. Did you add anything new to the tank? Any "filmy" skin or skin spots on any of the dead fish? Hard to tell, velvet and brooklynella are very fast killers but generally there are some signs. Google and see if anything looks familiar, if so you should quarantine your other fish and treat as you likely still have it in your tank. Could try something like Paraguard in a hospital tank initially then switch to stronger stuff if you spot anything.
Good luck!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: