nycearnestchink

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i purchased live rock 35 pounds, 4 hours die off , put it in a brute bucket with a airstone, for about 2 weeks, and ran my tank , tank is now 11 days old , and quite like 5 days ago, i stocked some corals and added a 4 to 5 inch dsb , some lps and xenais gsp, and just yesterday i put in 2 black nemos . i just saw some algae growing, does the diatom bloom come first or the algae , i have not yet noticed any diatoms blooms, my test kit i just ordered online and will not come for another 5 to 7 days for no2 nitrate and ammonia, i have not done a water change yet too, will my corals and fish be fine ! :/ . will water change effect the cycle, like weaken it. i was under the impression from what i have read online if you cycled your live rocks ina bucket, and put them in a tank , it should be good to go.

stupidity at its best.
edit: forgot to say +2sexy shrimp and 5 nass snails .

Wesley

Clownfish Pimp
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
You should not put in any live stocks until the tank is finished cycling. Some are tougher than others. They may survive, they may not. I just wouldn't put them through the suffering myself.

Live rock have stuff in there that would continuously die off for a few weeks. During that time, your Nitrate is going through the roof. Nitrate is like fertilizer. That's why you have algae growing. When you do NOT have livestock in there, you could just let everything that supposed to die to die off and decay for a few weeks to a month, then you can do water change. Like cycle the live rock in a bucket, not doing water change just to save some money since nothing is being affected. It has nothing to do with weakening the cycle effects. But with livestock in the tank, you have to do water change frequently to keep the nitrate down to help your livestock survive.

TL;DR - Do water change ASAP.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
You're not understanding. If your cycle is not complete changing water will only make it take longer. Take your livestock out, leave lights and skimmer off, let tank cycle

Last edited:

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
In the meantime, let the continuously rising ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate to kill all of the livestock he put in the tank.

Would suggest getting the livestock out. Into a friend, lfs tank. Or put livestock in a small bare bottom tank and do frequent water changes on that tank.

If in new tank livestock will suffer even with frequent water changes. Or frequent enough to keep them in good parameters and the cycle will suffer. In the meantime the light have to be on for the coral which is going to make algae and all sorts of other issues. Not a good way to get started, imo

Wesley

Clownfish Pimp
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
It is already not a good start. If he has a friend who has a good stable tank, you think he would be doing what he is doing? :)

Cycle is not going to suffer. If there are more stuff to decay, it will continue to, regardless of water change. The nitrifying bacteria in the live rock will continue be there. Water change is not going to wipe out those bacteria.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
It will slow the process.

If op is going to leave livestock the best thing he could do is minimally run lights, and add some quick start up/cycle.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: