piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ideal water condition, salintly, temp, stability. As for Coral you make sure Alk and Cal, Mag, are at right levels and you have proper lighting. Enough water movement. Good skimmer. Maturity of tank and regular water change is ideal. Type of coral like SPS needs a little more attention with nitrates and phosphate. Disease and parasites free tank. Buy a more hardy fish. Some fish are easier to get ick then others. Same with coral. Some can with stand a little less perfect water. Go slow and research things your not sure on. Ask questions .......:scratch:

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Ideal water condition, salintly, temp, stability. As for Coral you make sure Alk and Cal, Mag, are at right levels and you have proper lighting. Enough water movement. Good skimmer. Maturity of tank and regular water change is ideal. Type of coral like SPS needs a little more attention with nitrates and phosphate. Disease and parasites free tank. Buy a more hardy fish. Some fish are easier to get ick then others. Same with coral. Some can with stand a little less perfect water. Go slow and research things your not sure on. Ask questions .......:scratch:
This pretty much says it ^

Will disagree slightly, and add that with a system designed with enough means of consuming nitrates and phosphates water changes become less necessary, or not necessary at all. Going on 21 months on a 220 without a water change and still no need. Althou replenishing trace elements then becomes an issue, albeit a fraction or the chore

francisedward1993

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
thank you guys, very helpful facts. I did some research but it just keeps leading from equipment to another soo equipment wise, what are the main equipments to have a stable reef tank?i just wanna keep it simple without buying soo many different equipments in order to have a successful reef tank.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
If you want to keep it small and don't mind testing water a biopellet reactor with a big skimmer will do the trick
If you want more natural a big refugium and/or algae scrubber with skimmer will do. The bigger the algae scrubber and/or fuge, the less water changes you'll need

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Here is my dream list:

1. As big of a tank as possible. The more water volume you have the more forgiving the system is of problems.

2. A good RO/DI system to top off evaporated water and high quality salt (ESV being my #1 choice).

3. Quality live rock, preferably starting out with "dry" rock to avoid unwanted hitch hikers and a 1.5-2" live sand bed.

4. Good water circulation in the tank

5. A good sump with filter socks and compartments for heater, etc.

6. Good lighting

7. A good calcium reactor

8. An Apex Controller

9. An adequate chiller

10. A Calcium Reactor

Off the top of my head the above is a good start. Add to this quality test kits and testing equipment, buckets for doing "stuff", a quarantine tank... You get the idea.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to kick it old school and know WHY you're doing all those things before you do them. For me, Amazon up books from J. Charles Delbeek who over the years has captured all the essential things you'll need to know. You could finish it in a week or 2 and have MUCH more probability of success with whatever size tank or equipment you use. I cannot stress this enough, knowing the fundamentals will result in your happiness, haha. It did for me and I first read his stuff when I was 13.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: