samster

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So I'm trying to install a eshopps eclipse overflow which is like a ghost overflow, the issues I'm having is because the instructions are crap. I'm trying to figure out if I have the gaskets placed in the right order. Out of common sense I placed the gaskets on all the wet sides of the glass and external overflow box, but I'm reading mixed gasket placements all over the net. The over flow comes with one gasket already mounted inside on the flange side of bulkhead inside the inner weir box, so I assume one gasket should go between the weir box and wet side glass of tank, then external overflow box, then gasket and nut. So the order would be internal overflow weir box>gasket>glass<eternal overflow box<gasket<nut?? That makes the most sense to me, but I've been checking YouTube install vids, and seems like people are following the instructions and that's what I get from instructions. "the black box will be inside the tank as you fit the bulkhead through the hole. Next, take the remaining 2 rubber gaskets to place them on the bulkhead that's protruding through the back glass of the aquarium. Afterwards, slide on the clear box over the bulkhead from the opposite side of the aquarium glass and tighten with the lock nut to secure your black box and clear box" wtf? Does that sound right to you guys? Any one have one of these installed? Thanks in advance!!

samster

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
"A gasket goes on each side of the glass. So its' Black Box>gasket>GLASS<gasket<Clear Box<Nut."

This I what I got from a non New York forum, but I believe the last gasket should be on wet side of external box with nut, and not between the glass and the external box which is dry, I never installed a bulkhead with the gasket on a dryside so I'm having a hard time to believe the gasket belong between the glass and the external box. Leaving external box and nut with no gasket. Some edumacation please! Thank you!

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Sorry, shouldn't have just said sounds right. Tried to edit that post but something seems up with this website.
Reef synergy is similar but different. Wouldn't do it that way on an eclipse. The two rubber washers go in the same place, doubled up. You put the inside box through your holes in the glass, then 2 washers on each bulkhead, then outside box, then nut. So you are left with doubled up washers on each bulkhead between the glass and the outside box. Hand tight then maybe an 1/8 turn with wrench if your not too strong or can't get a good angle/leverage on it. Don't ever do much more than hand tight on any bulkhead fitting, they will leak.

samster

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Sorry, shouldn't have just said sounds right. Tried to edit that post but something seems up with this website.
Reef synergy is similar but different. Wouldn't do it that way on an eclipse. The two rubber washers go in the same place, doubled up. You put the inside box through your holes in the glass, then 2 washers on each bulkhead, then outside box, then nut. So you are left with doubled up washers on each bulkhead between the glass and the outside box. Hand tight then maybe an 1/8 turn with wrench if your not too strong or can't get a good angle/leverage on it. Don't ever do much more than hand tight on any bulkhead fitting, they will leak.

Yea the sites taking forever to load for me these past few days, I can't see how that's right to double up the gaskets, what's the point of that? What's stopping the water from seeping through between the internal overflow box and the glass? And what good would stacking gaskets do over one? You wouldn't double stack two head gaskets between your block and head? Just doesn't make sense to me. And what so different about synergy and eclipse besides price and eshopps jacked the style, just both acrylic boxes in the same design with the same internal, external box with bulkhead.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Guess nothing is stopping the water from getting past the box up to the glass but don't see any harm in that, I mean it's not leaking out. Why 2 gaskets over one, idk, but the people who designed it say to do that. Why use silicone gasket sealer on transmission pans when the filter comes with a gasket, idk, but any mechanic worth his oats does that, and dealers recommend that.
Would suspect that the way the reef synergy overflow goes together is the reason why the removable weir, and/or the inside box get warped over time and don't meet up perfectly over time. Which can become a problem with the tank's water level. Would also suspect that's why their newer design has the bulkhead and the inside box molded as one piece.
Can't see a problem, with the eshopp, if you leave the gasket that's already Inside the inside box, between the inside box and the bulkhead there, and put one behind the inside box and the glass. Then another the on the other side of glass in between the glass and the outside box. But that's not what they recommend, and I've never tried it so can't say for sure.

Last edited:

samster

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
It just doesn't seem to make sense to double up the gasket. They could have just gave us one thicker gasket instead of two, but that's seems like what the instructions are saying and from the one video on YouTube of a guy installing it the same exact way, I guess only way for me to find out is during leak test. I just wanted to know before I have all the plumbing in place, but I think I should be fine fingers crossed. And as for gasket sealer on a tranny is quiet different analogy, that's like rubber gasket and lube/Vaseline but it's still not stacking a gasket on top of another, I've just never seen a gasket sitting on top of another gasket without any channeling, that's just not how gaskets work. It's like back then the old Honda oil filters with the stuck seal/gasket and you put on a new oil filter start the car and realize all the oils shooting out of the filter to housing cause it's a Double stacked rubber gasket so it's going to leak....

samster

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
It could potentially leak out, but I guess the double gaskets on dryside of glass is suppose to stop it. I don't know man, I find the same question but really no answers, they really need to just put in a diagram on their next batch of instructions from the print. Cause it's really confusing if your being logical about it, but the instructions seems to be stating to double them up. Maybe I'm just bad at following directions LOL

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Oh, you drive a Honda and use Vaseline. Makes more sense now. Jk

Would guess it comes with 2 standard gaskets to be stacked because of cost and availability. Would also guess that if it leaked the way the suggest to assemble that you'v had found people screaming about it in your online instructions search.

samster

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Na never owned a Honda not even a bike, Supra is more like it. Funny thing is no one complained about leaking and seems like people have it in both ways, only leak complains I found was regarding to the bulkheads on the drains of the external box. I never used an external overflow, all my other tanks are just drilled on bottom. This will be my first so we'll see once I get my sump finished, been cutting like one teeth a day for my baffles lol. Prolly be done in another year before I am at Filling her up.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: