Spartanwarrior

Reefer Always Learning
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Hi All,

So after much research, I think I've narrowed down an approach to cure live Pukani and Fiji rock from BRS in as short of time as safe, practical and effective. Let me know if I'm missing a step, what process worked for you, and overall feedback.

For a 190 G I have about 120-150 lbs (around 80lbs extra if needed) of Pukani and Fiji I just recently bought. Going to aquascape and get a general idea of what rocks go where. Peninsula design so doing 2 islands, a lagoon and a few caves. Not minimal but definitely not packing it in.

I have 2 30G Rubbermaids that I'll be able to cure the rock in as it would be in the tank (similar dimensions except for height) so I believe I'll be able to epoxy everything together beforehand, use some PVC and zipties to create tall islands.

I have 2 400gph pumps, 2 150 W heaters, plenty of salt and RODI materials. Don't plan on using skimmer or GFO at first. I could add GFO later on at the end to get the 0 readings on PO4 I want.

I plan on powerwashing and scrubbing off what I can with a plastic brush. I've read many threads concerning the effectiveness of muriatic acid as a next step, of course with all necessary precautions, outside for about 12 hrs of soaking), but it still concerns me and I decided I'm not comfortable enough to go this route. I'd rather keep my eyes and skin than save a few weeks of curing time.

I'll fill the containers 3/4 with RODI water at temp (80F), add the rock, turn on powerheads, cover and let soak for 24hrs. Start to test for phosphates.

I'll add a few capfuls of Seaklear (Lanthanum Chloride) to the tubs, watch for precipitate and remove all organic matter and replace water as necessary.

After a few LC doses, I'll take rock out, rinse/powerwash again, mix salt water this time and start the process again until PO4 reaches as close to 0 as humanly possible.

One question I have yet to really find a straight answer to is what do I do with the "deadish" rock until its ready to be placed in the tank. Do I leave out dry, in plastic bags and try to keep clean or do I place back into mixed water, at temp until ready to use...could be a few days to a month or 2 until the tank build will be ready.
Or, third option, do I cure rock closer to the date of tank completion and have an empty tank while I wait for the rock to cure and then place immediately after?

Used this thread as my main resource to return back to during my research.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2049855

Any feedback is appreciated. I would like to get this right the first time. My first build I was given live wet rock already, so this is entirely new to me. Looking to decrease my chances of algae blooms, cloudiness, PO4 spikes and time for fish and coral introductions.

SeaKlear

MDreef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I just went through this over the summer, took over a month to get PO to 0.05, using a Hanna checker so possibly higher, takes lots of water changes and should make sure to rinse the precipitate well. I?m sure I should/could?ve kept going for a while longer if I had more patience ??

Spartanwarrior

Reefer Always Learning
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
I just went through this over the summer, took over a month to get PO to 0.05, using a Hanna checker so possibly higher, takes lots of water changes and should make sure to rinse the precipitate well. I?m sure I should/could?ve kept going for a while longer if I had more patience ??
So you used LC and got good results, if just not really quick?

MDreef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Yes it worked, I can?t compare it to curing dry rock without LC. takes a few weeks but at least not months some report, when I started I was getting 0.4-0.5ppm

MDreef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I Put straight into the tank, mixed with some old live rock from my other tank. LC is pretty safe.

I don?t see why there should be a difference if you store the rock. Id still rinse and soak overnight just before use.. LC will only bind phosphates in the water column, so the longer you treat the better. Not sure if there are studies of it reacting with the rock surface and if that could potentially result in some phosphate to be bound. Unlikely to have a significant impact.

Good luck!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: