ScottsTot

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a used white Red Sea Reefer 170 for $350. I was going to go for the 250 but this seems like a great deal. It'll save me $700 if I opt for this one over the 250. Not bad for getting my feet wet and checking if I want to invest more.

The tank is 3 year old. Is there anything I should look for before purchasing? I will ask to leak test. Other than that, is there anything else I should be wary of?

Rjukan

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Check the silicone. I just purchased a used tank back in Jan and wasn't concerned with the condition of the silicone until I got it home and looked at it closer. From a leak standpoint it was fine, but asthectically it was a mess (black silicone shows more imperfections than clear). The previous owner wasn't careful during maintenance and took chunks out of the straight edges, so it looked like something had chewed it up. Luckily it wasn't hard taping it up and putting a new bead over the old one to smooth out the edges, but it was something I should have used to negotiate a lower price.

Chris5

Im BaAaAcK
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Look for scratches on the corners (weak spot for scratching in between the rounds of the tank) and see if its the first or second generation by looking at stand is it a formica like flat black/white stand or does it has some kind of design in the wood element with integrated handles ? The first gen seemed to not age very good

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: