hunter

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Completely new to all of this. I?ve filled up the tank with RODI water, added the salt, and turned the pump on. The water is circulating but the sump water level is the same all the way across, is that normal? Here?s a few photos showing water levels in the sump and tank. What do I do? Is it too low or high, or?

https://imgur.com/a/ZBU4jaY
XLSLOPM.jpg

ZBU4jaY

Last edited by a moderator:

grsfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Hi. I don?t know about how everybody else?s sumps are but I have a diy one as well in a 10 gallon aquarium. From what I can tell the water level is a little high. Take some out until the water level is just below the second from the right baffle. Then the 1st 2 sections will have the same level and the 3rd will be a little lower. The only problem might be there might not be enough water in the first section for your skimmer... also you should always mix the saltwater in another bucket and then put in the tank. Especially when you do have fish in there

Caseyoidae

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to put a ball valve on the drain lines going from the tank into the sump. This way you can control water levels. If sump is that full and power goes out you might get some flooding

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
You may want to put a ball valve on the drain lines going from the tank into the sump. This way you can control water levels. If sump is that full and power goes out you might get some flooding

Not sure if I understand what you mean, but a ball valve on the drain lines should not be used to control the water level in the sump, and could cause the main tank to overflow (if there is no emergency drain).
If the water level is too high in the sump, remove the extra water.

bcaine

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great! Another good idea from someone who had a hard learning curve with sumps and still learning. Try turning of your return pump and skimmer and see how high the water in the sump water rises . BUT be prepared to quickly turn the return pump back on in case it gets to high or tries to overflow. This is a great indicator of how high sump water will get if you turn it off to feed , power outage , or pump dies. Better safe than sorry , fail safes do help greatly. Something always dies ,breaks ,burns out late night ,holidays weekends ,bad weather the longer your in the hobby.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: