John76

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Hi all , I took a look in my tank and I seen two growths of aiptasia near zoas on a rock , I am going to remove the rock scrape it and hit the spots with boiling water then thouraly rinse the rock before I add it back in the tank . My question is what are the chances the aiptasia will destroy my tank how can I be pro active , and ps I just bought this rock two weeks ago so that's as long as it's been in my tank

lzqkeith

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
131   0   1
I don?t recommend that you use boiling water . Because you say they growth near zoa . Boiling water will cause zoa release palytoxinsin in the air

Last edited:

John76

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Ohhhh boy I have alot to learn,, well I attempted to remove it with a tweezer , they retracted so fast no luck, so I took a hammer and severed the rock were I seen them shame is some zoas were attached

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
Do not touch, squeeze or try to remove them with tweezers. The infestation will only get worse. I suggest cutting off the section of rock where they are. If you can't, cover them with a rock, they'll move. hopefully to the rock and toss it

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
2 occasions where I found an aiptasia growing. Once was in the sand bed and was able to scoop out a small section and dispose it.

The other was on a newly acquired frag...I removed the frag and chipped off a piece of rock where the pest was.

Thankfully got them both and none have been seen since, that was over a year ago.

Also very lucky they were in places where I could take them out without demolishing half my tank.

Manually remove them if you can, if not maybe try aiptasia x or that laser that burns them up (I forget the name of it)....perhaps ask around if someone will let you borrow it. Better to loose a few zoas than have the tank overrun with that pest!

rwells

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
233   0   0
No luck here with aiptasia x. Used it on 3 I saw in my tank and was happy the first week but 2 weeks later they all came back and multiply in the tank. From 3 I have over a dozen now.

lzqkeith

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
131   0   1
Place the rock on the sand bed , cover the whole rock with something that can block the light . Because of phototaxis they will move out attracted to light . Then would be easy remove them

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: