Reefs.com

Reefs.com (https://reefs.com/forum/)
-   Reefs for Beginners (https://reefs.com/forum/reefs-beginners/)
-   -   Nitrites (https://reefs.com/forum/reefs-beginners/217003-nitrites.html)

Jaydontlag_ 10-24-2018 12:31 PM

Nitrites

So my 29 gallon biocube is cycling at the moment and there has been an ammonia spike so far. Its now the 5th week and my nitrites have still been high for the past 3 weeks. How long does it typically last for elevated nitrites?

soupiemelody 10-25-2018 11:52 AM

What’s your process. Also have you been adding ammonia daily. How much ammonia did you add and what is it at now?

Jaydontlag_ 10-25-2018 12:07 PM

I’ve been doing the fishless cycle. I haven’t been adding ammonia. I throw in some fish flakes like every other day. Maybe I should do it daily. Is that what’s slowing down the process?

rwells 10-25-2018 12:47 PM

What are you readings now, did you start off using nitrifying bacteria?

Jaydontlag_ 10-25-2018 12:59 PM

So my ammonia is at 0, nitrites are around 1.5ppm and nitrates are 10-20 ppm. Yea I dumped in a small bottle of special blend like 2 weeks ago. Which smelled horrible by the way.

rwells 10-25-2018 01:54 PM

I would stop feeding until nitrites/nitrate drop, these 2 do take longer time to process. When cycling my tank I did look into special blend but you would have to use more than one of their product which takes around 6 weeks to cycle and most important follow the bottle direction. You can wait it out or try Dr. Tim's.
I would do a water change and buy a small bottle of Dr. Tim's one and only nitrifying bacteria and use the complete bottle. If you cycling fish-less less you will need to purchase ammonia as well. I use this product twice in the past to cycle my tank and each time tank was cycle in a week.

Jaydontlag_ 10-25-2018 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwells (Post 1822103)
I would stop feeding until nitrites/nitrate drop, these 2 do take longer time to process. When cycling my tank I did look into special blend but you would have to use more than one of their product which takes around 6 weeks to cycle and most important follow the bottle direction. You can wait it out or try Dr. Tim's.
I would do a water change and buy a small bottle of Dr. Tim's one and only nitrifying bacteria and use the complete bottle. If you cycling fish-less less you will need to purchase ammonia as well. I use this product twice in the past to cycle my tank and each time tank was cycle in a week.

Thanks for the advice. I think I’m going to wait it out another week or two to see what happens. Then I’ll try that method if it doesn’t work.

soupiemelody 10-25-2018 03:23 PM

Well don’t add anymore ammonia until Nitrite is at zero. Nitrate won’t be at zero without water change. You’re pretty much at the end since seeing nitrates, just a little time left for the cycle to completes.

Jaydontlag_ 10-25-2018 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soupiemelody (Post 1822114)
Well don’t add anymore ammonia until Nitrite is at zero. Nitrate won’t be at zero without water change. You’re pretty much at the end since seeing nitrates, just a little time left for the cycle to completes.

Okay cool thank you

rwells 10-25-2018 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaydontlag_ (Post 1822113)
Thanks for the advice. I think I’m going to wait it out another week or two to see what happens. Then I’ll try that method if it doesn’t work.

Sure thing, just wait for nitrite goes down then a water change should take care of the nitrate.