Algae outbreak - Reefs.com

Home  / Forums  / Global Forums  / Reefs for Beginners  /  Algae outbreak
Algae outbreak
10-27-2018, 02:22 PM
So while cycling a tank while nitrites drop, you may experience a drop in nitrates as well because of algae growth. Since algae consumes nitrates. Am I right?

If I am then I’m finally getting the hang of this reef stuff.

The All Powerful OZ
10-27-2018, 03:17 PM
The amount of algae growth during a cycling is very small, so even though it may consume some nitrates it would be very little, to the point where you're not really going to notice it. Basically during the cycle nitrates should keep increasing until all of ammonia and nitrites are complete zero, which at that point they should remain the same until you do a water change or use another method to bring them down, like adding a refug with algae in it.

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright before they speak.

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.

It is far easier to fool people than to show them that they've been fooled.

10-27-2018, 03:52 PM
My algae outbreak was pretty big actually. Like 70% of my rocks are covered which is my fault for leaving the lights on. And my nitrates were around 50-60 ppm before the outbreak. And after the the algae outbreak it’s down to like 20ppm. There’s no other place where I would know where the nitrates are going.

The All Powerful OZ
10-27-2018, 04:50 PM
Unless it's a very small tank or you have tons and tons of hair algae that wouldn't bring it down that much, at least not right away.

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright before they speak.

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.

It is far easier to fool people than to show them that they've been fooled.

10-28-2018, 01:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marrone View Post
Unless it's a very small tank or you have tons and tons of hair algae that wouldn't bring it down that much, at least not right away.
Ok cool thanks for the info