Algae ID & removal

Crocpete

New member
Manhattan Reefs
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Location
The Rockaways
Hi, I have had algae problems since I started my tank. This is my first ever tank and have posted a few of my seemingly serious problems. The tank is about 3 months old, 20 gal with a 2? deep sandbed and about 15 lbs of dry rock. I cycled with Dr Tims ammonia solution and live nitrifying bacteria. I had the ammonia & nitrate spikes and then everything zeroed out. I had the diatoms but then green hair algae exploded along with either cyano or Dino?s. I have done multiple water changes, siphoned the crap off the sandbed and rock and fully removed the rock and scrubbed down with toothbrush 3 times. Everything looks good for a few days and then bang! Algae is back! I was using API tests that were telling me phosphates & nitrates were zero but just got the salifert tests and nitrates are 50ppm! I only have a small CUC, one small ocellated clown and a tailspot blenny. I only feed once a day so I don?t think it?s overfeeding but I am worried it?s the dry rock. I just started dosing hydrogen peroxide 2x per day. Hopefully this will stop the algae from starting up again. Any ideas or advice is very welcome.
 

Attachments

Spartanwarrior

Reefer Always Learning
Manhattan Reefs
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
what kind of snails do you have? variety? ever think of adding a sea hare - not entirely sure this is GHA but could be the way to go since your other methods seem on point. do you use RODI water?
 

meherbas

Member
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Location
hackensack nj
Seems like a relatively easy fix, 1) get ur water tested by a 3rd party I.e LFS; friend with reliable test kits( non expired/consistent test), find out where ur chemistry is at.
2) increase flow Dino/cyano tend to grow where gases are being broke down/released. Increase flow/current and looking into sand sifters, gobies,snails,wrasses, starfish anything that turn over ur sand( I recommend nassarius snails) and just let ur tank balance out, you might be cleaning it to often causing temporary relief.
3) what?s ur lighting schedule? Could be to much light(time/intensity)
 
Top