Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I haven't actually started a fish/reef tank as of yet.
Research. Lots of research. Some of it I take to heart and some of it I throw
to the curb.
I watch a lot of YouTube. There is one guy in particular
that I like. Aarons Aquariums. However, I have not found one article that
can tell me when I can start adding corals. When reading an article on frags
it said that the frags could be removed from the plugs about 1-2 weeks after
I placed them in the tank, yet they skipped the important part
"how to remove the frags without damaging them". I love the mushrooms, palys, and the zoanthids. I thought I would work from the bottom up. Then add LPS and SPS
I have researched what fish are reef safe. I wish some of the more colorful fish would be more co-operative.
I will be starting with a 90 gal. It's the best that I can do right now. I am going to use a canister filter, pool filter sand, 100lbs of dry rock give or take, 2 circulation pumps 500 gph and of coarse all of the other necessities. I am going to let it cycle for 1 day only. Do my testing's, make sure ph. is right, salinity and so forth. Then after everything is up to par I will have my fish and a bottle of Turbo Start Saltwater 900.
I'll dump the turbo then immediately after add my fish. Continuing to monitor. My light will be my most expensive item and it will be suspended.
That's it for now:happysad:

anthonys51

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.6%
123   3   0
Keeping fish and corals is almost like losing weight. Ask a 1000 people and get 1000 answers. But like losing weight it is quite simple. Eat less calories then you burn in a day and lose weight. Keep water stable and nutrients low and your corals will thrive. Yes easier said then done

There is no magic formula

I could start a tank tomorrow and I would probably add corals the next day.
They would be easy ones like softies

I never use bacteria or add ammonia to my new tank. Just use live rock, as much as you can afford but 50 percent dry 50 live is a good base and and don?t add fish for a least 3 months.
Fish imo cause the issue. Let your rock and tank balance itself before you add the waste machines

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With all the reefing products, it can get confusing.
I started with corals about 6 months ago.
I Have 2 hammers, a brain coral, 2 torch?s and 2 leathers
In 30 gal tank. I change about 10 percent of the water a week.
Looking for what others do in terms of dosing and what specific products people use.
Thanks

grsfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I would do exactly what you said about watching videos/ reading as much as you can before you start. To me the most informative videos to learn all the basics are the brs (bulk reef supply videos) 52 weeks of reefing and their other videos. Other good YouTube channels are melevsreef and tidal gardens, fishofhex, reefdudes all have some good intro videos.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
grsfish

I like tidal wave a lot. I watch this guy from AU. 1 because he is not afraid to talk about the mistakes he's made. And 2 he's honest. He doesn't tell you, you need to have ALL of the bells and whistles to start a reef aquarium. He does say that IF you want down the line you can add to your set-up. He also states that your biggest cost will be and should be your lights. He says to think of it as an investment not an expense. So with that being said I am looking at a Cobalt. And believe me they ARE expensive but it is better to pay for one light that is going to do the job then to buy light after light which will end up costing the same in the long run.
I only wish I could get a bigger tank but I live in an apartment on the 2nd floor.... lol

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: