A

Anonymous

I'm about to take my first "big step" and plunge into reefs from having done marine off and on for several years.

I've just recently started setting up an old 30 gal. and as (luck?) would have it, I have an astoundingly high (nearly off the Red Sea Marine Lab test kit charts) pH reading of at least 8.6.

Since the Alkalinity in my test kit doesn't give a numerical rating (just an overall 3-level bad/good/better type rating) I'm not exacly positive what that is, but it does rank up there nice and high.

My big question is, can my pH be too high to safely start adding good, pre-cured rock? I'm afraid of a yes, especially with my buffer (Alkalinity) being high as well and was wondering what some of the expert opinions might be. (What, if anything, can/needs to be done??)

Also, I was wondering if the Red Sea Marine Lab/Reef Lab test kits are reliable or if there are other kits I might want to consider?

Any and all help greatly appreciated..

ChaoticReefer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8.6 pH is on high side but its not at a level to panic. I have seen tanks with pH from low as 7.8 to high as 8.6 and these tanks are doing just fine. Ideal pH is in the range of 8.3.

As for test kits, for most reasonable price and has accurancy too is made by salifert. Other accurate test kits, but are on high side (still well worth the cost) are Hach and Lamotte.

Hope this info helps!!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: