• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Lostmind

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the looks of the snowflake eel in the lfs. I am just setting up my 125 gallon now in my living room. I had originally intended to set the tank up in my home office but it was too deep by a couple inches.

So, I still have a space for a tank in my office. I was wondering if a 45ish gallon tank is large enough for a snowflake eel? I am thinking to have the tank setup with LR and maybe some zoo's and such that can handle the excess nutrients in the water (I hear the eel's are messy eaters).

Anyone want to give me some pointers or recommend a good book on eels?

Danke!

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know of any good eel books, but Scott Michael's first volume of Reef Fish has great eel info (down to the species). I'd get that book if you don't have it.

A 45 gallon is on the small side for this eel. It's doable IMO, but Scott doesn't recommend it and I'll piggyback his opinion. Good thing is eels don't need too much room for movement.

mountainbiker619

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
snowflakes are great eels. If you get a baby, I would think the 45g would suffice for atleast a year. But make sure you have something covering the top, eels are known for great escapes.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear the eel's are messy eaters).

Absolutely they are. Have you ever seen a lizard or a dog eat and shake his head?? Same idea for an eel and they crap out a bunch too.
you can use a 45 for a bit but be sure to have a good plan in store for down the road. they dont get that big like other eels in the trade but they still get big. Runa protein skimmer and you should be fine for awhile. Feed alot too

Lostmind

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, 45 on the small side? (there goes that idea of havin the puffer in with the eel!) Let me go get the measurements of where I want this tank to go...

Two options for the tank locale - both little alcoves in the wall (old house, strange architecture). First place has 30" wide by 15" deep. I was thinking a smaller bowfront would fit... The second place has 42" wide by 34" deep. I could custom build a cabinet in the second alcove... wouldnt be tooo hard.

As for the eel itself, I took my girl to the lfs and she thought the snowflake eel was cute. It's about 5-6" long and the guy there told me they dont get any bigger. So of course, I figure its gotta get to at least a foot long then :)

I went to the store a few days after and saw the same eel at feeding time. Man those things are fast!

Anyways, thanks for the book tip, I definitely don't have that one yet. Time to hit chapters or so....

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lostmind":2bf5suv6 said:
As for the eel itself, I took my girl to the lfs and she thought the snowflake eel was cute. It's about 5-6" long and the guy there told me they dont get any bigger. So of course, I figure its gotta get to at least a foot long then :)

8O ::shakes head:: Man oh man, the things some LFS ppl will say to make a sale. The snowflake eel will eventually reach a max length of around 33 - 36" and be about as thick around as your forearm. It's one of the shorter eels at full-length, but definitely makes up for it in the thickness. I've seen one full-grown and they are absolute hosses. ;-)

As has been mentioned, it would do well in a smaller tank for a bit, but as has also been mentioned, better make sure you've got a plan to get rid of it down the road, because it's not a matter of if it'll outgrow a smaller tank, but when.

Lostmind

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW! 3 feet long? aiyah! :)

Man, I would feel bad about having a 3 foot long eel in my 125 gallon! wow

Thanks for the info, glad I didnt just pick it up (was tempted, but luckily common sense won out!)

8O

Mogo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a snowflake eel from my lfs and had them keep it until I got back from vacation. When I went into the lfs a couple weeks later to pick it up, they had it in a small container within the aquarium. When I asked why, they said it was trying to escape. I got a refund.

naesco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lostmind":1kxytdlo said:
WOW! 3 feet long? aiyah! :)

Man, I would feel bad about having a 3 foot long eel in my 125 gallon! wow

Thanks for the info, glad I didnt just pick it up (was tempted, but luckily common sense won out!)

8O

Great decision, eh!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: