Lateef

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am doing the intial set up of a sump and I am using a Rio 2800 ss pump as a return and it is making A LOT of noise. Does anyone have experience with this pump or have any suggestions as to how I can muffle the noise. The pump is brand new and is on the bottom of a 10 gallon aquarium attached with the suction cups that came with it. As the tank is in our living room the noise may put it in jeopardy. HELP! :?

HB

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rio is know for this. Either you get it off the suction cup (worst if the pump is touching the side of the sump....), or get a better pump.

eums

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what do you consider breaking the bank ? i have a velocity t3 but it raised the water temp ~4 deg on my 55 + 30 gal sump. but my tank was running at 70 so i need all the heat i can get. i havent turned on the heaters yet as i just wanted to see the temp of the tank with the velocity pump because its said they add some heat. its running at 74 right now, so with the lighting it should run just about right.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually when rio pumps make noise its because there is an air bubble in the inlet chamber and it cant get out causing part of the pump to run dry. Try taking it and shacking it a little. That always works for me.

ggoodrich

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After seeing lots of recommendations for Mag drive pumps, I bought a Mag 9.5 for my return. It pumps around 950gph I believe, and I paid $70 at MarineDepot.com for it. There is a Mag 12 also, don't remember the cost or flow rate. My pump has been working well for about 3 weeks now and doesn't seem to be too noisy (nothing to compare to though).

Rainman

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a Rio2400 as my return. To stop it making noise I pull it apart, put it all under water in my sump and rebuild it, making sure the spindle is as straight as possible. This seems to eliminate the air problem, it just humms loudly.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: