ricky1414

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how can i get my corraline algae to start growing? it has been several weeks, and the corraline has not gotten any larger that the several little splotches that were on my lr when i got it from the lfs. thanks

ricky1414

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is a pic of one of my LR. Is this corraline or am i mistaken?

Attachments

• lr3.jpg
    lr3.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 795

smlacy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that is corraline. The 3 things that affect grouwth are:

- Light (should be fairly high)
- Calcium & Alkalinity (same as with hard corals)
- Surface -- it grows most easily on plastic & acrylic, less easily on glass & rock.

I suspect that you don't have enough calcium in your tank.

Steve

Johnsteph10

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem until I started adding carbonate/Ca supplements. After several days, the coralline algae really started growing! I also increased my photoperiod to 10hours/day from the previous 8.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes your pick is coralline, however ive been told that it doesnt need high intense lighting...I have trouble growing it in my tank..I dont add Ca supps...I have them in case, but dont need them for my small 20...my Ca levels range anywhere from 450-600ppm...Since you have a small tank like mine Ricky, as long as you make a weekly water change it should replenish the Ca...I dont think that is your problem...Especially if you have Galaxea in your tank...

8)

kleinfreak

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm working on the same thing right now in my 55g Ricky
It grows wild in my 29g and I never do anything with that tank (and it has very low lighting) mostly on the acrylic, not so much on the rocks though.

I did find a recipe for Coralline on Garfs website. I will be adding Ca to my tank to see about improving the quality, and speed of growth.

Several colors of Coralline algae can be grown on the same tank raised live rock. Calcium is one of the most important things to add to your live rock growing tanks. Calcium levels in your live rock grow out tanks should be kept at about 400 mg/L at a specific gravity of 1.024. We have found that by using SeaChems Reef Builder and Reef Advantage in alternating doses in our make-up water we have had no trouble keeping both the calcium and alkalinity at the proper levels for rapid coralline growth. This simple method of treating our make-up water also keeps the strontium level in our grow out tanks high enough for the coralline algae to thrive.

ChrisRD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ricky1414":y694gcqp said:
it has been several weeks, and the corraline has not gotten any larger that the several little splotches that were on my lr when i got it from the lfs.

Be patient, it can take months to establish good coralline algae growth - there are several factors (as mentioned above). With time and good water parameters it will grow. IME very high light levels (ie. halides) can inhibit coralline growth. I've had much quicker growth in lower light systems.

As mentioned above calcium is a major factor - dripping kalkwasser or using a 2-part like B-Ionic would help in that regard.

HTH

ricky1414

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a 65x2 watt pc hood manufactured by jbj. is that gonna be harmful in regards to lighting? i know that the general rule is 5 watts/gallon. i have a 20 gal, so i have a little over 6. tahnks

cdeakle

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to get that coraline algae to take off what worked for me was coral-vital. awesome stuff. I did stop using it once the coraline took off because I dont like adding anything "extra" to my tank unless needed.

-puff

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: