JimC

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I've finally set up my 1st reef and have a few questions.

I have a 120 gallon tank. 48x24x24.

I set a plenum.

4 inch sand bed:
80lbs aragonite crushed coral. CaribSea
60lbs aragonite reef sand. Caribsea
60lbs aragonite fiji live sand. Caribsea.

73lbs live rock total for now:
60lbs live fiji rock.
1 13lb rock encrusted with purple coraline. Not sure what kind.

Skilter 400

2 powerheads. An AquaClear 802 - 400gph
A Seio M1500 - 1500gph

Currently have a glass top
Lighting= Marineland T5-48 Deluxe (48"quad HO T5)
2-54watt daylight
2-54 watt actinic

I used Reef Crystals to mix. Salinity 1.023@78

When I purchased the live rock a snail and 2 blue hermits showed up with it. I am doing a fishless cycle. I plan on having only a few fish.

I have a few questions I was hoping you folks could help with.

This has been set up for 3 days. Yesterday I put a cocktail shrimp in to help the cycle along. How long should I leave it in there? Other than that should I be feeding the sandbed during the cycle?

I am not running the skimmer right now. Just the filter. Should I remove the filter pads? I have a filter bag with phosphate remover and reef carbon in the filter right now and was wondering if the pads were necessary. I removed the pads last night and today I have a white sandy lookin film at the top...

My ph is @ 7.7. Will this bounce around? If not should I use a buffer right now or wait for cycle to be done with? Any reco's?

Are there any trace elements I should add while cycling?

That Seio powerhead is kicking all my sand out of the corner. I cant find a spot in the tank where it doesn't kick sand. Currently both heads are in opposite corners. Is this normal? Is it ok? Any suggestions on my powerhead set-up?

I know thats a lot to ask :? I've been researchin for quite some time and would like to actually hear from some people who have done this b4.

Any input would be helpfull.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JimC":2e4nfbe5 said:
.I have a few questions I was hoping you folks could help with.

:welcome: that's what we are here for JimC
This has been set up for 3 days. Yesterday I put a cocktail shrimp in to help the cycle along. How long should I leave it in there? Other than that should I be feeding the sandbed during the cycle?

With all the liverock you have, adding a shrimp really isn't necessary for the cycling process. But, you can basically leave it there until it disappears. No, you need not 'feed' the sandbed it will seed itself from the liverock.

I am not running the skimmer right now. Just the filter. Should I remove the filter pads? I have a filter bag with phosphate remover and reef carbon in the filter right now and was wondering if the pads were necessary. I removed the pads last night and today I have a ite sandy lookin film at the top...

I see you are using a Skilter, hate to be the one to tell you this but they are not a very effective piece of equipment especially for a tank the size of yours. in future you probably whould consider a better skimmer. To answer your question, leave the filter pads in, all that will do is help to cycle the tank.

My ph is @ 7.7. Will this bounce around? If not should I use a buffer right now or wait for cycle to be done with? Any reco's?
Are there any trace elements I should add while cycling?

It might move a bit, but I always buffer my water anyway regardless of whether a tank is cycling or not. There is no need for adding trace elements during the cycling process, water changes will add back what little gets used as long as there is no heavy bioload in the tank.

That Seio powerhead is kicking all my sand out of the corner. I cant find a spot in the tank where it doesn't kick sand. Currently both heads are in opposite corners. Is this normal? Is it ok? Any suggestions on my powerhead set-up?

How are you hanging it? no, it shouldn't kick up the sand unless it's pointed downward.

JimC

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Lawdawg,

Thx for your time.

Just took the shrimp out. Wow, strong smell 8O

I've heard bout the skilter. Quit the laughingstock. Plan on upgrading. Was a bit intimidated by the plumbing thing. I do know some people who swear by this system though. Thx for the heads up.

I have that Seio hanging as high as it will go. I have the flow control pointed as far up as it will point. It just hangs on an awkward angle. It blew the top layer of live sand down to the thicker layer of dry sand in the front corner. I was just wondering if this will negate the effect of the plenum?

I can mount this thing on a suction cup bracket. That may help. I really don't like using the suction cups though.

Thx again :D

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Superglue the suction cup to the bracket, it will work much better. Yes, any disruption of the sand layers makes a plenum useless.

Good luck!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: