JimC

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. New to the hobby.

I have a 120g tank. 48x24x24. Have 6 inch sand bed with 130lb live rock.

I have this for lighting:

Lighting= Marineland T5-48 Deluxe (48"quad HO T5)
2-54watt daylight
2-54 watt actinic

I am 6 weeks into a fishless cycle. Not quite sure what kind of corals I am going to keep. I told my LFS that I do not want to be limited in what I can keep by light. This is what he recommended.

Do you guys agree. Will I be limited with this light?

If so, do you have any ideas on an upgrade? Something that I can add to what I already have?

Thx in advance for your help.

Jim

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jim and welcome!

The general consensus is that in order to keep most SPS and a lot of LPS species, and ananomes and clams, all of which are very light demanding, you will need more intense lighting- like metal halides.

There is a school of thought that T5s are adequate, but they seem to be in the minority. I would wait for some of the more experienced folk to chime in. I for one started with T5s only, and quickly added 2 250W MHs as my coral appetite grew.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll probably want more lights. The lighting your LFS recommended is actually quite limiting in what you can keep (some LPS and soft corals). If you want flexibility, I'd go with more fluorescents (powercompacts, T5s, or VHOs) or consider moving to metal halides. Over a 120 gallon, you'll want something between 500 to 1000 watts of light.

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

JimC

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx for the help guys.

Funny thing is the LFS screwed himself. Money was no object. I even told him that. He sold me a $250 light. Now I may not go back. Nice shop though.

I'm getting the picture of what you folks are talking about. Some follow up questions so I can understand this.

I have a glass top that the T5 sits on. Its like a strip light. I will add to this.

Does this rule out the hanging pendants?

Could I just look for another T5 type light that sits on the glass also?
If so any specific reco's?

I have been cruising this site for about a month now. Simply the best. Gotta learn to post pics for those hitchhikers I can't identify!

Thx again for the help guys.

JimC

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry one more thing I may need to add. I'm sitting on a inch and half plenum and about 4-5 inch sand bed. My rock works half the tank almost to the top.

Does this change the lighting requirement?

I know, us damn newbs :D

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can stick with T5s; simply add more bulbs (as many as you can cram up there if money is no object ;)). I'd go with an Icecap electronic ballast (or two) to drive 4-8 more T5s. It will require some electrical DIY work. That will give you a good amount of light.

If you go with MH pendants, you'll need a way to suspend the payment over the tank, such as hanging from the ceiling or brackets. You can then remove the glass top altogether.

With your sandbed/plenum height, T5s may suffice. For deeper tank (beyond 20"), you'll want MH.

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oops..i said three 250's...but i mis-read your tank size. for a 48" tank, you'll get away with two halides, if you so choose.
those coralife aqualights just clip on the tank. they might be just what the doctor ordered :wink:

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey. a friend of mine has a 2 month old 48" fixture for sale. 6x 54 watt mixed(some 10k, some actinic) with 3 separate cords(2 bulbs each).
he wants 150 for it.
just thought i'd run it by you.
he upgraded to halides 8)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: