JulBranch

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My PH is about 8.0 during the day and 7.8 at night. I have a Refugium that has Chaetomorpha Algae growing (spaghetti). My water KH 12, PH 7.8-8.0, Calcium 420, nitrate 0, nitrite 0, ammonia 0, Mag 1300, Temp 79F. I do not cover my aquarium and do bi-weekly water changes. My lighting is 2 65W compact fluorescent. Any suggestions.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:welcome:

7.8-8.0 isn't too bad. The two easiest and healthiest ways to raise pH are:
1. Open a window. Seriously. Let fresh air in your room, and if you have a skimmer drawing air from the cabinet, re-route it so it draws fresh air from outside the cabinet. Increase water agitation at the surface of the tank. Stale air/water = low pH.
2. Drip kalkwasser. It doesn't sound like you need more Ca or alk, but kalk in small doses can help elevate pH.

scifi_3d_zoo

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, there is nothing wrong with your #'s. Seriously. But air your house out once a year or something.

My pH was 7.6 going to 7.5 b/c of CO2 in my house. Randy Holmes has been helping me at ReefCentral. I aired my house out during the last hurricane and that didn't help. I tired running a hose from the skimmer to the window but it was too far away. Probably would have to buy a pump just for that. There are other dangers too. You can suck in stuff, chemicals, etc.

I'm dosing 2 tsp/g KALK and it has helped get me to 7.7 (nite) and 8.0 (day). My fuge helps me little to none. I wouldn't know how much unless I took it our of the equation and watched what pH did. It's only a 5gal fuge on a 90g tank too. Problem with Kalk is my ALK has gone up with it... 10-11 dKH. I kinda liked how it was maintaining itself at 9.

If your house is full of CO2 just running a hose outside the cabinet wouldn't help.

Your ALK is already pretty high. You might not want to dose KALK unless you can lower your ALK. 2 tsp/g raised me 1-2+ dKH. Cut back on dosing Ca/ALK if you are. Depending on your needs.. Kalk may maintain these for you. Save you money if you are using additives too.

My surface is already aggitated pretty good... but that's the only thing I have no heard so far so I might take a look at that and see if I can increase that. What about an air pump in the sump.. just aerating it.. aggitating it?

jlneng

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a 180G reef tank with CA reactor which drives down the PH. I use reef buffer once a week. 3 tablespons in a gallon of RO/DI water which I drip into the tank. My PH is usually at 8.2 day now, corals are way happy, Ca at 450, ALK @ 12 DKh. I have a sump, 50G full of caulerpa which grows like a weed. I like Reef Buffer!

Unarce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're not already doing it, you can run your refugium at a reverse photoperiod, stabilizing the dissolved oxygen while your main tank's lights are off.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: