ERAKERS

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 16g nano tank that I upgraded from my 12 g tank. I currently have a marineland bio wheel power filter 200 and was wondering if I should upgrade to the protein skimmer from my tank. I have had the setup from around 11 months but the new tank now for two and was wondering why I do not have abundant coraline alge growth. My ph is good, but maybe my phosphate is high? I do a water change every week I think that I remove about 1 gallon or two out every time that I do it out of fear of taking too much out. Am not doing enough and have I killed my rocks? I just lost my scooter blemmy last week. He was the first fish that I bought for my tank and was doing perfect until he started breathing hard and laying on the bottom for three days until he pasted. I also have two clown fish that are doing great, a two firefish, cleaner shrimp and a peppermint shrimp. I want to get things right, so would th protein skimmer help me keep the waste down to the power filter?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of hard to read this post :wink:

With that type of filter nitrates are bound to be an issue, address that. A skimmer is not a necessity , you can manage a small tank like this with weekly water changes. Water changes of up to 50% and even 100% are not unheard of with no ill effects, so a 1 to 2 gals. water change is not going to be an issue.

The scooter blenny I assume was in the new tank. If this is the case it might have starved, their diet consists mainly of copepods and small crustaceans that live in mature established tanks. Many do take non live food, but most of them don't and starve eventually.

Coralline growth is going to be related to a variety of parameters especially the balance in chemistry between calcium, magnesium, alkalinity and PH. Get those balanced and coralline algae should become a pest. ;) Of course proper tank lighting is important.

Could you post specific test results for:
Ammonia
Nitrates
Nitrites
PH
Salinity
Calcium
Magnesium
Alkalinity
Temperature
Phosphates

Also, what is the procedure you follow when doing a water change?

Brian5000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll just add that there is not way you could ever "kill" live rock (short of keeping it in freshwater, electrocuting it, boiling it, drying it...you get the idea). If the critters aren't happy, they won't grow visibly on the surface. They'll be waiting for the right conditions to make their move and dominate the tank.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: