deadhead

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi everyone!!! it's been years since i've had a reef because i've been moving around so much. i just moved into a house and plan on staying put so it's reef time for me. i have some work to do on the house before i start up but i want to figure out if an electrical upgrade will be necessary for what i plan on doing. i have a room which is 19' by 12'. i plan on having 2 6' tanks in an L shape along 2 walls. one will be a reef (180-210 gal.) with metal halides and everything else needed for a successful tank and the second will be a 210 gallon fish only tank. of course there is the possibility of the fish only turning into a second reef over time. the capacity of my service panel is 100 amp. i have a feeling this will need to be changed. what's everyones thoughts on this subject?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think some people have a delicated 20 amp breaker for the reef room, which is about 2000Watt max. Should be enough for your setup. That will leave 80 Amp for the rest of your house. See if the ampage is reasonable, and go from there with electrician if you need to change anything.

Christeon

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add up the amps for your system to find out the total it uses, If your are putting in new wiring I'd break the circuits up into a couple of breakers, pumps, halides, heater , controller etc on separate breakers. That way if one pump locks up it doesn't shut your entire system down, I separated my circulation pump, closed loop pump and Halides into three breakers. Also install ground fault outlets at the aquarium.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
deadhead":27nn2h6v said:
hi everyone!!! it's been years since i've had a reef because i've been moving around so much. i just moved into a house and plan on staying put so it's reef time for me. i have some work to do on the house before i start up but i want to figure out if an electrical upgrade will be necessary for what i plan on doing. i have a room which is 19' by 12'. i plan on having 2 6' tanks in an L shape along 2 walls. one will be a reef (180-210 gal.) with metal halides and everything else needed for a successful tank and the second will be a 210 gallon fish only tank. of course there is the possibility of the fish only turning into a second reef over time. the capacity of my service panel is 100 amp. i have a feeling this will need to be changed. what's everyones thoughts on this subject?
That would depend, in my opinion, on how large you plan on living with the MH lights and the water movement. We just put a subpanel in our basement, primarily to handle a large lighting load, and we used a 100amp panel from which we ran 240v/120v power. The light is a 600W, so if you were going with, say, two 400W MH's + 1/4hp pump (plus accoutrements) I think a 100amp panel would suit your purposes fairly well.

Sounds like it'll be a beautiful room to just hang and chill, watch the fishies. :)

Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He he maybe he is a slowwww electrician.

I just put in 3 20 amp breakers for my new tank, spread over 10 outlets all GFCI protected.

I am running T5's on my tank, a halide on my sons, pc's on my nano. I also use a 400 watt halide..my electric bill was $280 this month...oy vey...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
livingstone":5w1a05px said:
Do you suppose he is really still working on his electrical system? :lol:
D'OH! This is not the worst case of necroposting I've seen, though. Perhaps he's like me, and just keeps chipping away at it. :lol:

Christeon

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seamaiden":3pqcvixw said:
livingstone":3pqcvixw said:
Do you suppose he is really still working on his electrical system? :lol:
D'OH! This is not the worst case of necroposting I've seen, though. Perhaps he's like me, and just keeps chipping away at it. :lol:

I wouldn't really consider bringing 2nd or 3rd page topics up as necroposting, I didn't realize the boards were so dead, I've been away for awhile I'll be sure to check the dates before I try to help again. :roll:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, whoa, I wasn't cracking on you, I was simply joking as I hadn't noticed the post date. No need to get panties all in a bunch.

Yep, apparently the boards really are that dead.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: